Supa's Zombie Response Vehicle Build.

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
Piledriver

Re: Supa's Zombie Response Vehicle Build.

Post by Piledriver »

Does the K20 turn the right direction?
(have to ask, IIRC it was some older ones that ran CCW)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Zander

Post by Zander »

supaninja wrote:Zander I don't want to be the one to completely turn you to the darkside, but a honduh conversion is the best bang for the buck and the k20 is an absolutly amazing piece of machinery.
Well funny you should mention....... But my family and I are moving back home to Austin in the next couple months. Maybe I'll have to come visit you. :wink: at minimum meet you at some shows. One way or another get a ride in that beast!

My grandparents live near Brenham so no problem making it to Houston.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Steve- Mario is building me up a MS3x that should handle it ;) I'm far too lazy to try and make heads and tails of the stock ECU.

Pile- yes the older honduh motors rotated the wrong direction, but the k-series rotates correctly :)

Zander- for sure dude, I'm all over Texas buddy we will meetup. I want a ride in your beast too...that sounds dirty :(
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

So I am driving the zombie mobile around on the leaker motor. I'm doing the K20a swap, just waiting on the parts and making final decisions on all the little details. I'll be making a thread in the conversion perversion section since that is where it belongs and I'm going to make a bad ass blog about all of this to document all the details of this journey into the unknown. Here is a quick rundown of what I'll be doing:

Tranny/clutch-stock with KEP adapter

Engine K20a (JDM, low mileage) 160hp/161tq- all stock except I will be disabling the VTC function with adjustable cam gears set to zero, and deleting the power steering sump by using a k20z3 idler pulley and belt.

Management- MS3x with knock sensor circuit, datalogging clock, map daddy, relay board, quadspark, and dub shop harness.

cooling- still in the air, but I'm probably going to try a early rabbit radiator stuffed into a corner of the engine bay, using a SPAL fan when the airflow from the vent isn't enough. If that doesn't do it, then either add another rabbit radiator in the other corner or a big truck rad mounted in the belly.

custom ish- I'm going to utilize the stock engine hanger mounts but make a custom hanger bar. I want a quite custom exhaust, most likely a vibrant muffler, and it will probably be only 2" piping.

so the goal is super reliability, be able to flat tow my notchback, and get 30+mpg.

I think I covered most of the bases, and yes I understand that I'm going to piss some peeps of...I sure hope so ;)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Why not use the cam switch over later on?

I've read that when mapping these engines after mods that earlier phasing of the 2nd cams can really build torque earlier. Some setups switch over as low as 2500 rpms under high load.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Your thinking of the VTEC engagement, VTC is the variable cam overlap function. It's nice for a bit of driveability and economy but it's not critical. When I was boosted on the Si, my tuner locked VTC at 0 degrees, it was too slow to keep up with how fast the turbo spooled. I still had awesome driveability and mileage, plus made real good power.

This motor is the economical one, stock vtec engages at 2500, but I might bump that up a bit since I have stock gearing. I'll play around with it.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

As you can see, I only have a passing understanding of all the lingo.

So you will still have vtec, but not vtc. Sheesh, acronym city.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Welcome to honduh world ;)

VTEC is pretty lame on this motor, it's not like the one in my Si, which basically shifts from a mild cam(8 valves) to a racing cam(16 valves) at 5800 rpm. This motor just shifts from 12 valves to 16 valves at 2200-2500 (depending on which article you read), not performance orientated but it's a bus not a race car so it should be perfect for this application. I also only have a 6800 rpm redline instead of a 8000 rpm redline :(

and this motor has a dual intake runner length, IIRC it switches to the short length at 3700 rpm, supposedly good for 9tq.
Vee Dub Nut

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

supaninja wrote:Coming soon to a theater near you

Yowzers... How'd I miss this???

That's gonna be flippin sweet!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

67 Beetle
74 Transporter (SOHC EJ25)

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Sooo.. Cute stubby little exhaust pipe there...What turbo are you going to stick on it ? :lol:
I know you can't resist :twisted:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Piledriver wrote:Sooo.. Cute stubby little exhaust pipe there...What turbo are you going to stick on it ? :lol:

No turbo, I don't want to have to build the trans, A small gt2560r would spool super quick....err, I mean NA is plenty for this vehicle :mrgreen:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

supaninja wrote:
Piledriver wrote:Sooo.. Cute stubby little exhaust pipe there...What turbo are you going to stick on it ? :lol:

No turbo, I don't want to have to build the trans, A small gt2560r would spool super quick....err, I mean NA is plenty for this vehicle :mrgreen:
I KNOW you have an 091... :twisted:
Convert a 914 trans for the Notch, you want 5 speeds anyway.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Stop giving idea's Pile, next thing you know i'll have a couple of 901/914 tranny's and a bunch of awesome parts from [email protected] wait, too late I already do....muahahahaha.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I just figured you would like to give your MAP sensor something interesting to look at ;-)
Keep the boost down to <1Bar and no problems :twisted:
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Pile, NA for now...I do have a notchback that wants boost ;)

So I had a hunch the 8th gen Si idler pulley and bracket would bolt right on (they have electric power assisted steering), and my hunch was correct, unfortunately none of the local FLAPS have the serpentine belt in stock...order some parts off the internets it is.