DC Code gearbox in a bay

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
radish

DC Code gearbox in a bay

Post by radish »

Hi all
I'm building a 1904 and was thinking about a gearbox, I currently have a 002 but have a DC gearbox which is from a type 3. 4th is 0.89 and R&P is 4.125.
Any thoughts on if this would be usable?
Making the adaptor kit is a problem either.

Cheers D
Jadewombat

Re: DC Code gearbox in a bay

Post by Jadewombat »

Everything on the bay bus is bigger for a reason. It's a heavier vehicle.
radish

Post by radish »

Jadewombat wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 pm Everything on the bay bus is bigger for a reason. It's a heavier vehicle.
This is true, but people have used bug boxes successfully for years now.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I have heard of people using bug boxes in split window buses to get rid of the reduction boxes and lower the bus, I have also heard about people using Bay window Bus boxes in split window buses and beetles to help hold more power and abuse off road but I have not heard of using anything but a bay window bus transmission in a Bay.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
radish

Post by radish »

AT,AM and AH boxes have all been used in bays. I've since found out AH and DC are the same ratio.
I was looking for some first hand experience, nevermind.

Cheers
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

well it is good to know that people have used non bay transmissions with luck in the Bay chassis it helps the rest of us know more and be able to answer such questions and offer solutions to those in trouble once more people know. Please share your experiences and let us know about any hurtles you need to get over in order to fit the DC transmission in the Bay chassis.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

OK, maybe I missed it. Why do you want to use the smaller bug box in a heavier bay vs. the 002?

The gear ratio?

Cost savings? ($150...maybe $200 instead of upgrading the R+P on the 002)

Average bay bus is about 3000lb. Average bug is about 2000lb. What hp does your motor have? 100?
radish

Post by radish »

Jadewombat wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 pm OK, maybe I missed it. Why do you want to use the smaller bug box in a heavier bay vs. the 002?

The gear ratio?

Cost savings? ($150...maybe $200 instead of upgrading the R+P on the 002)

Average bay bus is about 3000lb. Average bug is about 2000lb. What hp does your motor have? 100?
Hi

You have missed something, I haven't finished the motor yet so don't know the bhp
I was also only asking a question if anyone had used this box.
When was the last time you bought a R&P? As they are a lot more than $200 or can you point me in the direction where I can get one at that price?
I know that AT & AM boxes have been used in europe for better cruising rpm.

If a beetle engine was good enough for a bus, just Wonder why a gearbox isn't?

Thanks for your comments though.
radish

Post by radish »

ajdenette wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 pm well it is good to know that people have used non bay transmissions with luck in the Bay chassis it helps the rest of us know more and be able to answer such questions and offer solutions to those in trouble once more people know. Please share your experiences and let us know about any hurtles you need to get over in order to fit the DC transmission in the Bay chassis.
Here is a kit you can buy but I don't think its all needed as someone else use to sell one that was considerably cheaper. If you bought this you would be better off with a new R&P in a 002 box as said before.

http://www.classic-store.com/product_in ... s_id=70347

Cheers D
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

So, a bug is about 2000lb. and a bay bus is about 3000lb., correct?

Your motor would be pushing maybe 100hp, or twice as much as a stock bug motor, also correct?

And you want to use a smaller T3 IRS gearbox designed for ~50hp in a vehicle with 50% more weight and twice as much power, correct?
radish

Post by radish »

Jadewombat wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:52 pm So, a bug is about 2000lb. and a bay bus is about 3000lb., correct?

Your motor would be pushing maybe 100hp, or twice as much as a stock bug motor, also correct?

And you want to use a smaller T3 IRS gearbox designed for ~50hp in a vehicle with 50% more weight and twice as much power, correct?
incorrect!
Original question was - is it suitable? Which in your opinion is it isn't, that is fine but as I have pointed out I have found that some other people have used them successfully. So maybe your opinion is exactly that. You seem to be quite angry by this question? Why is that?

I have since found out that the bug and bus gears are the same, it is the R&P that was made stronger.
So where can I get a $200 R&P you mentioned? you know a lot it seems.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

So, in answer to your question--no it wouldn't be suitable.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2027593
radish

Post by radish »

Jadewombat wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 pm So, in answer to your question--no it wouldn't be suitable.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2027593
Thanks, shame that R&P isn't a 4.57 though.
Pablo2

Post by Pablo2 »

Why is that? 4.57 is for Bus Boxes.
If I was to retro an early Type II trans into a Bay, I'd make sure it was from a '66-'67 Splittie, equipped with 4.37K (8:35) R&P. That's the best combination/compromise for strength & low ratio.
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86