Space heater in a Bus?

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
rpinkfloyd12

Space heater in a Bus?

Post by rpinkfloyd12 »

Has anyone ever tried to perminately put an electric space heater in their Bus for night, so it is nice and warm in the morning. Is this too dangerous or is it just a bad idea?

heater

Post by Guest »

I use a ceramic 1500 watt portable 'cube' heater. Dial it down as it is actually too hot. Be sure to use a nice heavy duty cord available at RV supply outlets.
mnsKmobi

Post by mnsKmobi »

I have used a small fan heater, but only in the evening before going to bed. I like to restrict the number of potential fire hazards when I'm sleeping in the van.
mnsKmobi

Post by mnsKmobi »

I have used a small fan heater, but only in the evening before going to bed. I like to restrict the number of potential fire hazards when I'm sleeping in the van.
vwtopia

Post by vwtopia »

I did this but also had it on a timer so it turned on about a hour before I got up so it was nice and warm in the morning. I had it pointed towards the windshield so it was always nice and clean. I also had it sitting on a board between the front seats. Never had any problems except that I have about a 45 minute drive so it was cold by the time I got to work.

Kevin
Doggus

Post by Doggus »

Has anyone tried using seat-heaters from a Saab or Volvo or other. My experience is that they work quite well for heating up the seat safely in cold weather. They might even be usable on the Bus bed (if the woman is not providing enough heat)
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Seat heaters are really nice. They are all over the junkyards in volvos and SAABs...around here...for about 10 bucks. Be sure to get a big switch, and the proper relay. 12 volt electric blakets and heated air mattresses are also available...but I can't remember where I saw them. I would get a second battery. Ray
67SO45

space heater in bus

Post by 67SO45 »

Just installed Mr. Buddy tent heater in my 67 Westy. My bus is a bench seat with no fridge/sink in it.

I mounted it on the bulkhead where the fridge/sink normally goes. It works great so far, I go out to start the bus in the morning, turn on the heater, then go back to get my two year old daughter ready, by the time were belted in the cab is comfortably warm.

Also works great for camping, just need 3"x 3" ventilation opening.

Hope this helps....Jay
rpinkfloyd12

Post by rpinkfloyd12 »

Are space heaters dangerous? I'm planning on putting one perminantly in the cargo area with an extension cord hanging out so I can just hook it up at night. The timer is a good idea. I dont want to start a fire or anything, I just dont want to freeze! Where would be the best place to perminantly put one?
bmerge

Re: Space heater in a Bus?

Post by bmerge »

Seat heaters are really nice. They are all over the junkyards in volvos and SAABs...around here...for about 10 bucks. Be sure to get a big switch, and the proper relay. 12 volt electric blakets and heated air mattresses are also available...but I can't remember where I saw them. I would get a second battery. Ray

Any idea what years of Volvo and Saab had these seat heaters in them?
fusername

Post by fusername »

I had a cheap electric blanket in mine, was all in all a dissapoitnment. I used an electric radiator a few times to warm it up over night after my sink froze, those were some swell mornings
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
LivininnaVWBus

Post by LivininnaVWBus »

When I can plug in, I use them. Follow the provided instructions and they're safe, effective for temps above 30 degrees - after that you'll have to bundle up. It helps tremendously if you cut your air space down by hanging a blanket up behind the front seats.
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

We have a Propex heater, runs on the same gas bottle as the hob. The heater is room sealed - air comes in and exhaust out from outside the van - and it even works while moving. It's a fan heater, so you can hear it run, but I'd rather be warm.