Hotrod Drag Week - How could you do it?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
petew

Re: Hotrod Drag Week - How could you do it?

Post by petew »

Been rethinking this in the shower this morning. If the cheap standard for V8s is anything RWD and an LS turbo/powerglide/GV overdrive, a non VW block is probably our happy zone too. I'd suggest a Subaru EJ25T/Subaru 5 speed. Strong, cheap, late model and super reliable. I know that's sacrilege on a ACVW forum, but drag week is no place for sentimentality unless you have $$$$$$$ to spend.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Drag Week is coming to my area this year. They do have a bracket class, but I'm not driving all those miles. I wish there was a one day deal. Cecil Co Dragway is about 20 minutes from my house. I do plan on at least spectating on the Tuesday that their there.
richie,uk

Post by richie,uk »

Hi Pete,

was just told about this thread so thought i would share my thoughts as I am doing it again this year :twisted: 8) along with my buddy Steve Dalton who finished last time we did it in his 69 bug and ran 10s everyday winning the 4 cylinder trophy :D For me has to be aircooled, and it needs to be a simple a set up as possible so no intercoolers as it takes up a lot of room for intercooler/water tank/radiator etc and you need all the space you can get to carry everything and getting ice to track is another potential issue to avoid.
My gearbox failure was a freak thing last time so I still say a bus box is way to go,Steve had no problems with his, and you really need to do the whole thing on same wheels/tyres as getting the extra wheels for slicks into car isn't practical either with a cage.
A big lazy engine[mine is 4inch bore with JPM heads] so it can manage the street miles is best route, and really it needs to be turbo as then the gearing is sensible enough to keep rpm down for the road sections. I had a 4.13 R&P with a 0.82 4th and 26inch tall rear tyre and cruising at 75mph was no problem, the car managed the 300miles a day road sections without any dramas, we did use E85 on road and at track again to keep it simple and fuel consumption was around 18-20mpg overall inc the track part, finding E85 stations was a little harder and had to plan our fuel stops accordingly, we both carried 40litres of extra fuel in jugs just in case.
I had some issues with the injector driver so had to swap injectors to high impedance version which were smaller and required me to do some hasty re mapping at track and on road and car still ran mid 10s. That ECU set up has gone now and replaced with a FT500 from fuel tech with some extra data logging ability and I am aiming for 9s every day this year :shock:

There are lots of different classes but none that our aircooled cars really fit in so we end up in Super street small block power adder with some cars running high 7s!!!! But for me the real achievement will be finishing as we are so handicapped by car choice and layout but that just makes it more of a challenge and I enjoy the ride more then :lol:

cheers Richie webb
petew

Post by petew »

Hi Richie, thanks so much for chipping in here. Was great to see you guys in vids. I wish we'd seen more of your action. Looking forward to seeing you do it again. And yes, the size of the car/motor makes even doing the event such a challenge. Hats off to you both! :)