How to fix your Scat DragFast shifter.

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
bugzzlife

Re: How to fix your Scat DragFast shifter.

Post by bugzzlife »

I've had them worked perfectly , out of the box, another times not work that good at all it depends on weather they made it good or not. the day it was made. unfortunately yes they are made in China and the quality control have suffered because of this, I hear the originals were good and the newer ones are now pieces of crap. the 1 that works good for me was made in 1997, and the 1 that doesn't work so well I bought a swap meet and don't know when it was made. I know my third gear seems to be a problem on both cars, if you don't rest a little bit between the third it doesn't it likes to go in third, this happens on my raill buggy in on my street car, have to push in the clutch a little bit longer then shift, it may not be the shifters falt maybe syncronizers.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Old topic but Super Helpful. :D

Although I had read the thread I bought a SCAT shifter and out of the box, all the problems stated in the posts. I modded by putting a longer pin and now 1 and 2 gear is on the spot. As for reverse, it wasn't going up at all even by adjusting the nut. The piece with the two squares got lost and I just put a stainless steel washer which works flawlessly. Also, I changed the shifter rod bushing.

Money well spent. I emailed SCAT and nada...It should of been bolt on out of the box. Maybe nextime.

It's a different car with that shifter compared to the EMPI Hurst Style I had installed.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

Has anyone tried to correct these problems by installing an adjuster into the shift rod ? When I built my Speedster I had to shorten the pan and the factory shifter position was too far forward to be comfortable shifting into 3rd gear with my seat arrangement so I modified the whole setup. I relocated the shifter by using a " buggy box " which I installed into the tunnel and utilized a Bug Pack bolt in shifter bushing instead of the stock one . I had to shorten the shift rod up any way for the shortened pan so I cut the rod and installed an adjuster into the end of the shortened rod , this way I can lengthen, shorten and adjust the rod right or left as needed for a perfect alignment at the shifter. I have used this set up on all my cars since and every one has worked perfectly with no problems, here is a picture of my Speedster with the Scat shifter installed.
http://s91.photobucket.com/user/dragvw2 ... 6.jpg.html

I hope this helps someone. Mike McCarthy
manaxx

Post by manaxx »

TYPE 1 VW cam plug pops out leaking oil can you help me , do you put it in dry ,? while i was trying to install it kept popping out , smooth side out right .?guess it goes in both ways 1st time first one lasted 6 years 2nd one 20 miles can i put a steel one in ? . motor coming out tomorrow , is there a retaining clip inside the hole where the cam plug goes ,that holds the cam from walking around ? ready to torch the car lol
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

manaxx wrote:TYPE 1 VW cam plug pops out leaking oil can you help me , do you put it in dry ,? while i was trying to install it kept popping out , smooth side out right .?guess it goes in both ways 1st time first one lasted 6 years 2nd one 20 miles can i put a steel one in ? . motor coming out tomorrow , is there a retaining clip inside the hole where the cam plug goes ,that holds the cam from walking around ? ready to torch the car lol
What does this have to do with a Scat Dragfast shifter?
BT Rogers

Post by BT Rogers »

Does anyone have pics of this still?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I am not at home and won't be for more than a week. As I said, I copied them and did some cleaning of them. I've also had a hack to my computer so I'll have to see if they were part of the hit or if I still have them. Remind me in about 10 days.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

I'll try to take some new pics soon.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

shifter fix.jpg
Scat drag fast shifter fix 002.jpg
I think these are the pictures you asked for. I try to keep my promises.

Bye. Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Thanks Lee!
BT Rogers

Post by BT Rogers »

Thank you!