Keeping Kadron Velocity Stacks In Place

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

Keeping Kadron Velocity Stacks In Place

Post by FJCamper »

Piledriver

Re: Keeping Kadron Velocity Stacks In Place

Post by Piledriver »

Nice!
Don't forget the blue locktite, engines love small hardware snacks, even if very bad for them.

Are there known "pod" air cleaners that will fit over those stacks for day-to-day use?
(UNI makes quite a few versions, oiled foam, very good, and high flowing filters)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

I would prefer drilling and tapping the air cleaner boss, then a bolt from outside so it can't possibly fall in.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I would also thread the carb body. A cool trick might be to use all thread/long bolt to span from one side to the other so only the little bits are outside. Or even pop rivets.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I like Sideshows full-width all thread (or long screw) idea, one can slot the velocity stacks and slide on, then clamp.

You could even booger the threads at the end so the nut(s) absolutely cannot find freedom.

What are the dimensions of those stacks?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Gentlemen,

This velocity stack fit has been a problem since I had my first set of Kad stacks back about ten years ago.

The stack's base dimension is 68.5mm.

I first tried hose clamps. The stacks vibrated right off. I then slit the edges of the stacks and used a hose clamp. The stacks vibrated off again plus I had ruined my new stacks.

I then drilled and bolted the stacks down as you see in the how-to. That worked, but with the caveat you must have the stack flat on the carb flange. If it isn't flat, the vibration will wear bigger holes behind the little bolts.

Jeff at the Kaddie Shack -- if I am reporting this right -- puts a flush set screw rather than a bolt in the boss, and then hose clamps the stack base. He says it works for him.

With Locktite, my little bolts and nuts have held. Not that I don't worry and check the tightness all the time, but they do hold.

FJC
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

...puts a flush set screw rather than a bolt in the boss, and then hose clamps the stack base...
I also have never seen his way, but a roll pin or any sort of proud fastener followed up with a simple hose clamp should also work well.

Thread locker or not, I try to avoid small nuts hanging in the intake tract. What could happen, alcohol in the fuel is found to erode everything like locktite, or rigid motor mounts prove to loosen everything attached to it? Seems risky
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.