Making a header for an odd app

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
DeathBySnuSnu

Re: Making a header for an odd app

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Historically I have gotten away with the no cooling fan.
I can not ride a slow moving (under 30 mph) parade.
I tryed one time in 100 degree f heat and 10 to 15 mph for way too long. Three Harleys seized. I made it through somehow.
I have a 185 deg f fan switch. The fan has turned on twice in the past 10 years that I can remember. It is full flow all the time (no by pass) large cooler.

But.......
I am worried about my increases in displacement and hp. You know it is going to make more heat. So i am doing everything I can right now to. I probably should have left it 2110. Just to dang much of a motorhead I suppose.

But i must admit. ...
It sure is fun when young buck thinks he is gonna blow by old man on trike and learns otherwise.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Depending on how many miles you drive and your location for availability you could consider E-85. The head temps would drop big time.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

Steve Arndt wrote:Depending on how many miles you drive and your location for availability you could consider E-85. The head temps would drop big time.
One thing I do wish we had in the UK is E85. Plus it will run cooler yet with total ignition control management and proper fuelling via the megasquirt, i was going to say "fit a head temp gauge"
Then I realised my own stupidity, the whole idea of this build being to live on the edge lol...
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

E85 ain't an option.
I travel a little, maybe a 4 state area. I have only seen E85 for sale in one place and that was a state or two away from here.
There is an ethanol plant in town but none at any pump in my area.

The little instrumentation I have used has been temporary.
I do not run any gauges at all. Not even a speedo on a normal day.
At highway speed you can physically reach down and put the palm of your hand on top of the heads cooling fins.
And say hmmmmmm thats warm. You know.... if I leave my hand there much longer it will start to burn me.
So the fins are around 120 f.
Chamber temps???? Who knows.
The 185 f switch on the fan has only come on twice that I know of. I was all concerned "what's that sound?" Then realized what was going on.
buildabiggerboxer

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

The 421 primary system I made for the Beetle challenge spec 1641cc motors with centre mount DRLA, power was all done by 5500 rpm with the spec stock heads, this system gained 4hp at 5000 rpm over a 4 into 1 system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Thanks!

I am still thinking over the ideas and options.
Not much progress. Work gets in the way.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

So i see i have not kept the thread up to date.
Still not together. Working through the details.
Good bit of one off machine work and such.

Now i see why pic size...... drat....just photobucket urls.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Failed attempt on resizing phone pics.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Again
Last edited by DeathBySnuSnu on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

As far as your header, I think I'd just run four zoomie pipes --- You can play with the dia. size to get the right sound... It'll sound really bad butt like that or with a little baffle in the pipe
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

buildabiggerboxer wrote:The 421 primary system I made for the Beetle challenge spec 1641cc motors with centre mount DRLA, power was all done by 5500 rpm with the spec stock heads, this system gained 4hp at 5000 rpm over a 4 into 1 system.
Many years ago there was a header set up like this for V-8 cars. I think it was called a Tri-Y and it worked for some cars I guess. I'm not sure if they are still producing them but I think the 4 into one (equal length) is probably still the best for all around performance. Tuned length does matter!

I just looked them up and they are still being made by several companies. "Good for the street and road racing"; lower RPM applications.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you can bring the pipes up over the trans, a flat 4>1 collector might work, Megs warehouse sells them, cheap too.
The Techline Satin Black is a better thermal insulator IIRC.

Awesome looking trike!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

I have been running straights on the 2110 for a bunch of years.
But.
With the rebuild to 2387 and fuel injection i am in the need of a collector, for the hp gain some but more for a place to put o2 sensors.
There is no over or under to go with a header.
So far i am planning on through the drive extension.