Stage 3 Pressure Plate & Stock Cable?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
risk

Stage 3 Pressure Plate & Stock Cable?

Post by risk »

Anyone using a kennedy stage 3 (2600lb) pressure plate with the stock clutch cable setup? Will the clutch cable tube and spot welds hold up okay?
Marc

Re: Stage 3 Pressure Plate & Stock Cable?

Post by Marc »

Considering that the clutch tube welds sometimes break with a stock cover, I don't think there'd be high hopes for them lasting forever with a Stage 3...although there's probably some who've managed to get away with it.
Going to the late, long release lever at the cross-shaft will make life easier on the welds and your leg.
It'll also increase the pedal travel needed, but that's rarely an issue.
risk

Post by risk »

Funny you mention the longer release lever.. I'm running a kennedy stage 2 pp & diamondback disc.. the extra pressure it takes to engage it is really annoying in stop and go traffic. So, I read about the longer clutch arm.. hmm.. I cut two levers apart and made a long one (added 1 inch), but I could not get enough travel to fully engage the clutch. I ended up taking it back off, and removed about 1/2" inch... works great and it feels a lot closer to the stock setup.

I started with a Kennedy stage 2 and copperhead disc. When I switched to E85 it began to slip in 3rd & 4th, so I went to a diamondback disc (looks like a grinding wheel). This stopped the slip, but....

Then I added an intercooler, and it has started slipping in 3rd & 4th again. Thinking the disc had glazed over, I pulled the disc and bead blasted it. Still slips at the top of 3rd.. So it's time to bump up the pressure plate to a stage 3.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Are you sure the steps on the FW are machined correctly? That or you must really be making a whole bunch of TQ.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have a stage 3 and diamond back and long arm. Worked good till last summer. Broke all three connection points. Never hurt my cable though. I do think I'm starting to push the limits of the stage 3. I need to start monitoring clutch slip one of these days. Big boost and a 2000lb car don't help. Super happy with the combo so far though. Smooth engagement, comfortable pedal, and good hold 95% of the time.
risk

Post by risk »

Flywheel is good.. although I have never measured the clutch breakaway torque. I have a 2276 running E85, intercooled and turbo'd. It's just overpowering my clutch setup.

So you broke the spot welds loose in the tunnel, chip? I wonder if some extra welds via the shift coupler access hole would be enough to hold up..
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

risk wrote:Flywheel is good.. although I have never measured the clutch breakaway torque. I have a 2276 running E85, intercooled and turbo'd. It's just overpowering my clutch setup.

So you broke the spot welds loose in the tunnel, chip? I wonder if some extra welds via the shift coupler access hole would be enough to hold up..
The tube was floating when all was said and done :D
Nice and sturdy now though.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I would start to worry about the area the cross shaft runs through too. Worry about the throwout bearing fingers also. You are putting a lot of loading on stock, lighter weight things with that strong of a clutch cover.
risk

Post by risk »

Decided to ditch the idea of a stage 3 and sent my flywheel off to Kennedy today for their dual disc clutch conversion.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

risk wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:28 am Decided to ditch the idea of a stage 3 and sent my flywheel off to Kennedy today for their dual disc clutch conversion.
Good Plan.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.