Venturis - When Smaller is Better

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

Venturis - When Smaller is Better

Post by FJCamper »

Above: The Solex/Kadron power circuit in action. The "annular discharge ring" is a secondary venturi that draws more fuel at maximum intake velocity.

Venturis -- When Smaller is Better

There are highly scientific formulas and precise-looking charts that inform us what venturi sizes we need for given displacement and max RPM.

Doing what the charts dictate usually give you an optimal, if theoretical, performance whenever your RPM hits that venturi size sweet spot. Also, doing what the charts dictate means you are out of your prime power zone at all but max RPM.

If you were running LeMans and tune for the best top end on the 3.7 mile Mulsanne Straight (as you should), the charts will be right. A mainstay rule of racing is to adjust your handling to best take the turn that leads to the longest straight. And of course, your carbs must be tuned to provide your best top end power on that most vital straight.

But what if you're mostly running errands but can't turn down the ocassional stoplight drag or dice through some country road esses?

Easy answer. If the chart says you should run a 36mm venturi, run a 34mm. Lots of tuners have been suprised to discover dropping a venturi size really "wakes up" an engine.

Conventional wisdom says the bigger venturi gives more power. So if you drop a size and get faster, what happened?

Simple. A smaller venturi accelerates airflow, increasing intake velocity, while (and this is the big reason) the increased velocity alters the pressure differential in the venturi and richens the fuel mixture.

Even better, the carb's power circuit (the spray nozzle from the secondary-venturi "annular ring" in the Solex/Kadron diagram above, and the Weber has it's own equivalent) kicks in faster. You feel power at a lower RPM.

The downside of a smaller venturi on an engine that can really use it is less absolute top end. The upside of one size drop is better accelleration and overall better response.

FJC
ecksrash

Re: Venturis - When Smaller is Better

Post by ecksrash »

"the increased velocity alters the pressure differential in the venturi and richens the fuel mixture." So this is why my IDA equipped 2276 likes the 100/65 idle jet stack. I'm running 37mm vents BTW.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Ecksrash,

A 2276 engine and 37mm venturis are a good match. You are technically already down a size.

Of course compression ratio & cam factor in, and most guys will try and run the biggest vent set they can on 48's and all it will get most of them is a high dyno number.

I once ran 40mm vents in a full-race 1835 (IMSA road racing) and about 6500 rpm at Daytona it flew. But we couldn't drive it around the block.

FJC
Marc

Post by Marc »

I suppose for all-out drag racing it might be worth it to use the "theoretical ideal" size vents, but for street (or even road- or circletrack-racing) I'd rather give up a few peak HP to broaden the overall usable RPM range. Smallest motor I've ever used IDAs on was a methanol-fueled 1585, and 36s were fine for it (running 5000-7300 most of the time) - but even for 1775 & 1835s in the same RPM rangeI never felt it necessary to go bigger than 37s.
Took the high-horsepower of the day trophy once at a dyno-day (besting a 2276 and a 2332) with an 1879 running 37s - that motor was completely tractable as a daily driver, sub-6000 RPM...bigger vents might've given it a little more peak HP, but at what cost?
Realistically most street 2-liters aren't going to get buzzed much beyond ~5000 RPM, so IMO there's seldom much need to go bigger than 37s for them either. Try 40s if you wish, but as Frank mentioned the reduced vacuum signal will require fatter jetting.
ecksrash wrote:...So this is why my IDA equipped 2276 likes the 100/65 idle jet stack. I'm running 37mm vents BTW.
Venturi size should have next to no effect on the idle circuit jetting, although I suppose with some combinations it could make enough of a difference during transition to matter a little there. There are several factors that could be responsible for the 65 idle working better for you than the ubiquitous 70.
rockurob

Post by rockurob »

Very interesting: Messing with E85 Kads
I am running a 1776 with Web 163...ended up with 10:5 comp...041 heads 39x35.5
1.5" merged with stinger, no heater boxes
(actually E-90 according to my fuel vendor and he does not change for winter)
40 Kads with 32 vents, air correction fixed at 150, 80 idles, and 200 mains
with velocity stacks
it idles great, wide open great, mid range flutter

I talked to Jeff at the Kaddie Shack, he had never messed with e85 and Kads
but did say that he ended with a Kad carb from Brazil that the fixed air correction was a 100

I am thinking of reducing my vents to 30, which will enrich my mixture and give me more in
the carb's power circuit (the spray nozzle from the secondary-venturi "annular ring"
I looked down the carb throat, and I do not get much from the secondary's at 3000+ constant rpms

Thinking if I had the 100 airs, I would not have to run as big of jets as I am running now ?
but they are fixed, and would be a real pain to pull, solder and drill
but changing to the 30 vents may help ..... ?
But it sure accelerates hard to 6.5K with the
existing 32 vents...just crappy mid range