Win Or Break at Carolina Motorsports Park Spt16

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

Win Or Break at Carolina Motorsports Park Spt16

Post by FJCamper »

Above: Great weather and great racing at CMP.

WIN OR BREAK

The trick to winning long enduro races is to keep making laps, have short refuel and driver change stops, and don't break or hit anything. Here last spring, we finished 3rd in Class C even with a cracked case bleeding oil badly, in the rain. This time we came back with a new case and double and triple checks on everything.

We arrived way before dawn on Friday for practice. Hawkeye and Dr. Steve are already there and asleep in their tent. Jamrod soon gets our garage space operational and we roll the Blitzwagen out of the trailer, ready to go.
While test driving the Blitzwagen, we create and fix a bad valve cover leak on the 1-2 cyl side trying to mend a small leak, and during the day, the starter push button decides to fail. We replace it with a part from a track vendor and all is well.
We are still running on Hawk pads from May, and we're surprised to discover when we stop to check, that our new, still in the box, Porterfield R4 pads for our Wilwood Dynalite front brakes are too thick to fit. We consider filing them down but decide not to, as the Hawk pads are in excellent condition.
Testing proves we have good handling, good power, and no changes are necessary. The 1974 front struts, the camber plates, the new cross-drilled front rotors are all working.

Above: Fresh 2.2 litre engine, detuned to 9:1 for enduro racing, 3-gallon dry sump for reliability, and sandbagged just a little down to 34mm venturis for more punch coming out of the corners.

Above: New upgrades. Camber plates atop 1974 struts for more bite in the corners and improved scrub radius. We now run 3° negative camber up front.

Above: You're not seeing double. For the downtown Camden block party Friday night, one of the other racing teams mocked up an effigy of the Blitzwagen, and towed it in on an improvised wrecker. Then, they dressed like our team has dressed at the costume events. You don't know if you should be honored or threatened by such antics.

Above: RetroRacing's Bear Necessities. Cute & Cuddly? No. The bears are styled off Ted, the psychotic, insulting bear from the movies of the same name. Good thing you can't hear them talk. On wait, you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tPOi_N0oxk (Clip from TED movie)

17Spt16; Sat. The morning is warm and overcast, no rain in sight. We are Class C. 95 cars start. We've put Dr. Steve out first. He runs an hour consistently, and is replaced by Hawkeye who does the same. He drives steadily, just clocking laps for his hour. By the time Hawkeye comes in and David replaces him, Steve tells us we are now leading Class C.
David puts in his hour, posting our best lap times (2:08), and hands over to Justin.
Justin is steadily building our lead. 10, 20, 26 laps. We have never been so far ahead. We're all jubilant. But our luck was about to change.
At about 1420 hours, 96 laps and four hours and eight minutes into the race, the exhaust lifter on cylinder #3 broke, shattering the rocker arm shaft's support block. Justin brings the Blitzwagen in, and we frantically look for ways to fix the problem but while we have rocker assembly parts, we have no backup engine this time, and only splitting the case would -- might -- save us. If we had spare lifters.
We just have to face reality and retire.

Above: The B-M-Wobbly powered AMC-AMX coupe gets owned in a corner. The Blitzwagen's smaller diameter tires and stand-on-it drivers make it a rocket coming out of a turn. Once the Blitzwagen was retired, the AMX went on to win the race overall, with a best lap time of 1:54.

Above: Four hours into fourteen, leading C class by 26 laps, the Racing Gods stepped in to not just pour cold water on our joy, but hit us in the head with the ice bucket. We broke the solid lifter on #3 cylinder exhaust and shattered the rocker arm assembly.

Above: Hot Shoe Blitzwagen driver and even better wrench David Scott grapples with the bad lifter.

Above; With the Blitzwagen out, Hawkeye no longer had a ride, but he had friends that had a ride. And out of fear or admiration, they complied. The pinkish hulk above is a 1961 Racing Rambler, Hawkeye set the best lap time of their team, a 2:15, and took them to 2nd in Class C. The Rambler boasts Wilwood brakes, a Pinto engine, and rock-hard suspension.

Above: Racing fuel for the drivers. A spy photo of the various paint strippers and bootleg hooch that keeps the team going.

FJC
Last edited by FJCamper on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ps2375

Re: Win Or Break at Carolina Motorsports Park Spt16

Post by ps2375 »

One of these days the stars will align and they won't know what hit them....or lapped them.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Deep bummer, sounds like an unusual failure...

Didn't AMC pretty much own the Trans-Am racing series podiums for ~20 years?
When I win the lottery, I'll get the (good running/driving rocket rimmed stockish but 11 second) Big Bad White `69 AMX with the 390 I wasn't allowed to buy for $950 when I was 16. I am still alive though.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Piledriver,

Breaking a solid lifter is rare. It's never happened to me. We have not split the case just yet, so I can't tell you what happened, but we know the face is still on the lifter in one piece (we have a little TV scope device) and the lifter bore casting appears to be in one piece. This is a brand new aluminum bubble-top race case.

You can stick a push rod into the lifter from the head side and it almost swallows it, as if the center of the lifter has collapsed.

The lifter are SCAT, the cam a C95, and we run chromoly push rods.

Any ideas are welcome.

FJC
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have seen lifters that are multipiece, hollow with an insert held in with a snap ring that has been known to suck.
I suspect they are hydros with a different insert and no guts, makes for a modular part.
A broken spring or rocker arm > excessive lash has been know to allow the insert to seek freedom...

Perhaps they tried a snap ring for the inner stop too?

It also makes them very light, as oil is much lighter than iron, but I replaced all of the snap rings on the set I have as half of them were overcompressed//collapsed when installed and/or upside down. (square edge in)

They have a little play between the snap ring and insert as well, really wants a shim.

Will be curious as to the post mortem.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Lifter Failure Confirmed

Our lifters were two-piece, not "solid" as believed. Looks to have been press fit together.

The steel chromoly push rod punched the lifter's center section inward, while the rocker shaft failed. The jolt was hard enough to slightly bend one of the the head's rocker studs.

We were using solid-shaft rockers assemblies, and forged rockers.

Ironically, no push rods were harmed in the race-ending disaster.

FJC
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Tool steel lifters might prove to be good insurance.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I always enjoy reading about your racing, and wish you all the best of luck. Perhaps a different brand of cam and lifters would treat you better.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Woodsbuggy,

I appreciate your kind words. We've found some solid lifters from SCAT which are in fact solid, not hollow. 3.3 oz each.

We race again with LeMons at Barber, our home town track near Birmingham (AL) first weekend in February. The BeatRetro Camaro will be there as well, so the infamous "You Talk S**t Better Than You Drive" trophy is up for grabs.

BeatRetro has "won" it twice.

FJC