lets talk 40 x 35.5 Hi Velocity Heads

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
markvwguy

lets talk 40 x 35.5 Hi Velocity Heads

Post by markvwguy »

So, I want to get a set of Hi Velocity Heads. Heads are where the HPs come from. From what I can see the major players in Hi Velocity Heads are:
CB Performace 044 Panchito ( CB says runs cooler)
Aircooled.net 049 revmaster
DRD machine 049 revmaster casting
CIP1.com 049Rev master
Mofoco 042 Cast in Manitowac, Wisconsin

Does anyone have any input as to their experience with any of these heads or any other heads.
Running 78mm crank,90.5 bore, 5.5" rods, 1.25 CB rockers, CB 2236 cam, 8.5:1 comp ratio
Megasquirt EFI, 50mm throttle body, CB 7360 end castings
N/A engine now maybe turbo as I go
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... c&start=20

I want to go faster!!!!!

Thanks,
Mark
Last edited by markvwguy on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dragvw2180

Re: lets talk 40 x 35.5 Hi Velocity Heads

Post by dragvw2180 »

Personally I use ported heads by Dave Kawell ( http://kawellracing.com/), he does beautiful work that performs. If your budget is lower I have used Rev Master heads and I really like the casting as is for street turbo . Personally I would not spend the money for porting on a turbo engine unless maximum HP is your goal like mine , save the money for the best turbo you can afford and not necessarily the biggest . Mike
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Mark,

I began with AJ Sims heads and was very impressed with them, but we swapped over to DRD to see what CNC heads were like. They do a good job for us. Now keep in mind we are normally aspirated and road race only, so I can't say much about street use.

FJC
markvwguy

Post by markvwguy »

Thanks FJC,
CNC heads are my focus; and the castings being used for maximum velocity and cooling. Right now the heads I have are running cool @ 300 degrees average ( at #3 sparkplug base washer) with the engine combo and my MS tune. I know can do better N/A first. I'm keeping boost in mind because the MS fuel injection It's always an option.

Cheers,
Mark
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I am a big fan of the 049 Revmaster castings(that DRD and Revnaster both use) very nice heads and both companies can CNC port them to your needs.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
farmer

Post by farmer »

The new Panchito´s cool very well. Equalls the Mexican 043. For daily driver usable torque with good rpm power too the Panchito´s are hands down the best you can buy for heads in that range. Next in line is the Tims stage1. Granted, not CNC, but still really good heads. If you are only into medium displacement higher rpms like 4500 to maybe 8 grand the DRD´s large port L5´s can be a fair choice.

T
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Are specs/flow numbers posted for any of these heads mentioned?

Be good to know appx. cross section as well if one is really concerned about port efficiency.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
DRED

Post by DRED »

Hello,

And what about the AA 500 serie with 40 & 35.5 valves. Seems to be well design for cooling (not sure it's a AA specific casting...043 casting ?)