The Drag Ghia

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Legallyfast

The Drag Ghia

Post by Legallyfast »

Sometimes I get so crazy with my imagination, and I go far away from what I want to actually do. So I am going to make my ghia a bit of a road car. I hear it will do well, so I am going to see. Here is a little history on this ghia.

It is a 1962 Ghia, and my dad bought it sometime after I left the house I think. I think he basically had it for 20 years. He bought it as a roller, and then did what he had to do to make it work. My dad is a huge DIY. He is definitely not a hot rodder, and also not a purist. Dad put Honda seats in it from a clunker my sister bought (1980's something Honda with a wooden bumper!) He had 2 engines, that he swapped back and forth, 1600 and a 1641. I would guess it was pretty good when he finished it.

About 3 years ago, I asked my dad, "What you going to do with that Ghia?" He goes, "I am going to sell it." I thought for a bit, and thought it should be a good sale. Months later I visited again. I had been thinking about the Ghia a lot. I knew it was a unique VW to own. It was not a car I dreamt about, but I liked it. But I kept thinking I wanted it. So I asked my dad how selling the Ghia was going. He asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy it, and I replied with "ME". He told me, we could work something out. I told him give me a price. He hesitated for a while, but eventually told me $2500. So I said ok, and started to save my money. I eventually got the money, we set a date to complete the transaction.

I will continue this later, and hopefully get some pictures added.
Last edited by Legallyfast on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
helowrench

Re: The RR Ghia

Post by helowrench »

Sweet.
$2500 for a decent running Ghia is a good deal in todays market.
Especially for an earlier model.

Rob
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

helowrench wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 am Sweet.
$2500 for a decent running Ghia is a good deal in todays market.
Especially for an earlier model.

Rob
I felt the same way Rob!
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Before we go on, something to note. My dad asked me to keep this car, in my family. So as I build, I build with this in mind. I want to car to be around a while.

So I go to my Dad's house to complete the transaction, and my dad says let's go for a test drive. He says there are some tricks to driving this car. I was a bit perplexed, but went along with it. It was hard to shift would be a huge understatement. Come to find out, the nose cone mount was gone. But this was the beginning of issues. So I got in the car, my wife and kids followed, and drove 60 miles to my house, which was mostly highway driving.

The steering was very loose. The gas lever was diagonal. The brakes, well let's just say it could stop. And shifting, well not sure how I got it to go, because it was rough. I made it home, called my dad and let him know I made it home safely, and thanked him for the car. He drove it like it was normal, and hardly skipped a beat.

After I got home, I decided it needed to come apart a bit. Everything needed work. I decided I wanted to build a solid car. I have done a few bugs, a bus, and many mustangs. But I wanted this car to be nice, nicest one I have ever done.

I have never been a big fan of the stock VW pedal assembly. So I went ahead and purchased a Ron Lummus pedal assembly. It is pricey, but a very nice piece. Next, I needed disc brakes. I was aware of some of the kits out there, and use to work for a parts company, so I knew what I didn't want. So I went with RL again, and got his front brake kit. I rewired the car, because the wiring was a bit nasty, and just did my own thing there. I wanted low back seats, so I went ahead and bought the Scat interior kit. I have always been an Autometer fan, so I purchased a bunch of the carbon fiber faced gauges, with a 5" speedometer and 5" tach. I used to build 550 Spyders, and fell in love with the Nardi steering wheel, and so I got that. I originally had intentions of drag racing, so I purchased the Berg shifter. I have had intentions of doing more, but I always wanted to road race motorcycles, so I went ahead and devoted myself to 1 season of racing. Hair raising? You might say. I didn't crash, but had some class calls. https://youtu.be/2UuqwO2ucPs

Somewhere in there, I lost an engine. So my car has sat. Yesterday, I pulled the body off the pan. I had a Saleen mustang that I would autocross with, and I really liked it. Not as good as road course, but still fun. So I will build this car for road racing. I will try to keep it nice, but practical. I will do somethings myself.

This will likely be a slow build thread. I have a lot of work to do, but it will be worth it.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Good Morning Everyone. Went to Irwindale yesterday with one of my sons, and I have to admit, I love that scene, and want to drag race. I will be doing a drag build instead. So, have the pan stripped down with a few things to do, and will be converting to IRS.
Chip Birks

Re: The Drag Ghia

Post by Chip Birks »

Its a pretty fun scene. Still thinking streetable or fully commited drag car? 11 second zone is the target right?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I though swing axle was better for dedicated drag duty due to strength?
Otherwise you need beefier than stock CVs, T4s at least Easily done, off an early 944, the inner drive stubs can be had reasonably. It gets far more expensive it you want huge power...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Chip Birks wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm Its a pretty fun scene. Still thinking streetable or fully commited drag car? 11 second zone is the target right?
I was thinking a little steerable, but as I am building, I am wondering if that will even be a good idea. I consider some of the things I can do with a track only car, vs street action too. I don't have a lot of time to drive on the street because I am super busy, and usually with my kids. Still considering my options.

Yes, looking at an index class. Looking at Super Combo, and would likely aim for 11.90, with the option to go faster. I think this is an easier task for, while allowing me to go fast and have fun.
Piledriver wrote: I though swing axle was better for dedicated drag duty due to strength?
Otherwise you need beefier than stock CVs, T4s at least Easily done, off an early 944, the inner drive stubs can be had reasonably. It gets far more expensive it you want huge power...
Looked at all off that, but decided to stay with the swing.

I started to remove paint and bond, and discovered there is a lot of bondo. Going to do the best I can with it. There are a lot of cracks in the bondo, so I feel it is necessary to address. going to degrease the pan and repair the holes I have found. Purchased RL 1" tranny raise kit, rear fox 50/50 shocks, floor mounted staging brake, and new master cylinder. Gonna do chassis and brakes first, then look at trans.

I might sell my Ron Lummus front wide 5 brakes, because I really want to go with Chevy pattern. I will wait and see, because I really don't want to buy 2 front kits. There is the chance I will buy another VW, as I always have my eyes open. I know of a bug close by, that just sits in the yard. So this is another dilemma. I don't see any light weight, inexpensive, alternatives, but maybe I am unaware.

If I do drag only, I can consider getting the weight down even more. It will never be a beauty queen though, but I like it to look good from far, and fast.
Last edited by Legallyfast on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
petew

Post by petew »

This thread needs pics! :)
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

petew wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 am This thread needs pics! :)
Great idea! I am trying to figure this out. Any suggestion on how to do this? I am sure there is a thread on this......

I can't even load an avatar, there always too big lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I have to resize my pics even smaller than 800x600, I think 600x450 before they will load.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Pics must be <125KB jpg or PNG, and IIRC display must be 1000x1000 but 800x600 is preferred.
Its possible to make a >125KB jpg with the wrong settinsg, so save @~75% quality should be fine.

This is subject to change with the new board software.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Piledriver wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm Pics must be <125KB jpg or PNG, and IIRC display must be 1000x1000 but 800x600 is preferred.
Its possible to make a >125KB jpg with the wrong settinsg, so save @~75% quality should be fine.

This is subject to change with the new board software.
OK, well here is my issue. I don't know how to reduce the files. I am on a Mac, and I guess I don't have a program that does this. I will look around for something in my, um, spare time, which I have very little of. Bear with me.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Any paint program should be able to scale an image, I use The GIMP which is massive overkill, but entirely Free.
http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/News/News.html
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Ok, Let's see........
Ghia front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.