The Drag Ghia

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Piledriver

Re: The Drag Ghia

Post by Piledriver »

That works, lets try an external link...
Nope, links are still borken.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Testing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

OK, well still trying lol
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Legallyfast wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 pm OK, well still trying lol
Make them 800x600, 1700xwhatever will not show inline.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

ok. I am trying to use the Mac functions. They suck, or I suck lol
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Legallyfast wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 pm ok. I am trying to use the Mac functions. They suck, or I suck lol
Any paint program should be able to rescale a picture.
There are online utilities for it as well, or at least used to be.

If all else fails imagemagik probably runs on mac, command line but hideously powerful utility that can do almost anything to entire directories full of pictures if desired.
petew

Post by petew »

Nice! :)
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Ok, well I am a bit busy at the moment to really sit and spend the time I need to get photos really figured out, but here is where I am.
Car body is chilling in garage in the middle of getting stripped. This is a nasty job. Just guessing I have enough bondo on the car to maybe slow it down a bit, which also presents other issues, why is the bondo there? Well, it isn't flat would be a good way to describe it. Not building a show car, but........and not a place I want to put my money into. This will be interesting to say the least. The outcome will be as well.

For the chassis, I have some parts in my office. I am going to convert to IRS, and I am going to do it myself. Talked with Ron Lummus, and he is going to send me the parts to get it done. Considering a raise and narrow, but I am a little hesitant. Not a lot of info out there, and I need to do some more research. I have some Fox 50/50 rear shocks now, a RLR tranny raise kit, and some after market torsion bars. I am also waiting for my CNC floor mounted staging brake and master cylinder. I am trying to do what I can on my own, as well as just enjoying building my car.

I understand this is going to be a long journey, but that is ok. I really want to make sure I do a good job. I am super busy with life at the moment, so I am ok with this. I am excited that I have a direction now. I am thinking I will start popping in at the track to see what I can learn. I plan on taking my time with this, and finally build a car the right way. Chassis first, horsepower last. Since I have a time goal, it makes everything a lot easier to manage in my opinion. Drag racing is not new to me, just this level of dedication for a track only car.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Not a bad way to do things. Probably how i should have done mine from the beginning. I went the opposite route. Stuck 300whp into the back of a pretty much bone stock bug with a gearbox and lowered front end. The car gave me my original goal ET its 1st night on the track. I wanted 11s. It went 11.86@118 on its 4th pass. It was a lot of fun getting up to that speed, less fun trying to stop it. Managed to run that time with a stock interior, including stock seats and a lap belt too. More or less stock drum brakes stuggled to stop my 2000lb ride in any sort of hurry. 4 wheel disks went on a couple years later, with Wilwood 4 pistons up front. The car easily stops from that speed now. I also added a roll bar and set the car up for a 5 point safety harness. Suspension is still squishy and stock, other than a set of Carrera 90/10s up front. I added some beefed spring plates and a narrowed beam last year. Torsion bars and rear shocks are probably next on my list to do. If i had just built the car right the first time, it probably would have gone 10s from the start, and done it safely too. Oh well. Its been a fun journey.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

Hello everyone. I have been super busy with work and school. I just finished coaching basketball, so I will start having some time to keep working on it. I am still up in the air about a thing or 2, but working on chassis first. I am going to convert to IRS. I have the parts and jigs at home. I have a new M/C and a staging brake. The pan is separated from the body. I have the beam off the car. So I am making a bit of progress, but I have a long ways to go. I am stripping the paint and years of Bondo off the car, because it is thick and cracked.

I considered racing pro turbo, but I am thinking that might be more than what I really want to build for, plus I have to build a VW engine for all Bugorama classes. I still have a lot of time. A part of me wants to go with a subaru. So that is where I am torn. I figure get the chassis done, and then I will worry about it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Legallyfast wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 am I considered racing pro turbo, but I am thinking that might be more than what I really want to build for, plus I have to build a VW engine for all Bugorama classes. I still have a lot of time. A part of me wants to go with a subaru. So that is where I am torn. I figure get the chassis done, and then I will worry about it.
Dang! I thought you were looking for 11s. Pro turbo is hard to be competitive in if you aren't running low 9s.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

That was my original goal, but I am a competitor! I know that the bracket style class is competitive, if not more. But I guess I like more heads up. But ya, I started looking at the competition and where they were running, then calculating costs, and ugh! I just want whatever I put my money in to last. Am I dreaming?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Pro turbo is not the place to go if you want your money to last. Heck even my turbo'd street car has given me plenty of expensive trophies so far.
Heads up racing is definitely lots of fun. Personally i don't really care what the car in the other lane is doing. I'm more interested in bettering my own performance than beating the guy I'm racing. But thats just me. I'm no longer really into the competition aspect. I just do it for fun.
Legallyfast

Post by Legallyfast »

I hear you. TY for the input. Gonna focus on finishing the chassis, then go from there. I always want to go big, then reality sets in lol.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can always build the chassis/cage for the higher spec... Probably not much more cost there, since its getting done anyway.