New Fan Housing Test Results

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
FJCamper

New Fan Housing Test Results

Post by FJCamper »

The ABS plastic insert for the centermount blower housing we've just tested.

We ran three track events for this report, one a long test and tune day, and the others full qualifying and racing weekends. The ambient temperatures were middle 80's F., and oil temps from a raging 300 F. when the heads suffered lean jetting to a pleasant 220 F. when the jetting was right and the new front mounted oil cooler was in action.

The ABS thermoplastic showed no signs of warping. We did suprise ourselves when we removed the fan housing. No one had thought to drill the side ducting to accommodate the 6mm bolts, and you can see how that worked out. It's all been fixed now, of course.

Above: Engine maintenance after the Barber Historics

Introducing the 36HP style all-ABS plastic blower housing

Above: Stock on the left, new design on the right

Success with the centermount fan housing insert has given us confidence to produce an all-ABS 36HP style blower housing. The blower housing itself is not structural, the alternator being supported by the stand, and the alternator backing plate large enough to spread the load of fan bracing.

Building a blower housing like this from a clean sheet of paper means we can do away with the ducting compromise the factory had to make to accommodate an internal upright oil cooler before the doghouse cooler was introduced. Our 36HP design has already been prototyped but is untested.

And, of course, you can see this is a specialty competition blower housing. It requires either an external case-top oil cooler adapter be used, or an oil cooler bypass be installed. The bypass doesn't stop oil circulation, it just connects the "oil out" and "oil in" ports together atop the case. And, there is no provision for fresh-air heater tubes.

At this writing, no price or release date had been determined.
Last edited by FJCamper on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piledriver

Re: New Fan Housing Test Results

Post by Piledriver »

What is the height of both those housings from the top of the trans flange or to the crank centerline?
( T1/WBX stock/aftermarket and T4 are somewhat different to the block, but to centerline or trans flange is ~universal)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

*subscribed*
You might just have a customer here who wants 2 shrouds without oil cooler options...
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Piledriver,

We have identical dimensions to a stock non-fresh air 36 HP VW fan housing. The dimensions were CNC plotted from an actual fan housing.

Are you asking if we could make a blower housing with custom dimensions?

Hi Tony, wait until we get the prototype tested. Our goal is meet or exceed the cyl 3-4 side cooling of the doghouse cooler with the external cosmetics of a simple 36 hp shroud.

If you recall, Gene Berg was really against removing the upright oil cooler from inside the pre-doghouse fan housings. He tested, and said cylinder and head temps actually went up with the stock cooler removed. He turned this into his own ban of external oil cooler kits and started a controversy that has only lessened with time, not because of any facts. I wish Gene had lived to see our solution.

The center-mount blower housing insert has really exceed our expectations. It makes the center-mount housing actually work.

FJC
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

On my 2332 I blanked off the doghouse cooler and am directing the extra air into the rest of the fan shroud (to the heads and cylinders). So your kit would work fine. To be honest, I was actually hoping you'd make it with the funny shape of the ducting insert in the center mount shroud. It would free up some space as well as add confusion to onlookers.
I am also (when I get around to it) doing a T4 with a Cali upright conversion, so this shroud (as per ducting insert shape) would confuse the locals here even further.
Keep us all posted on your results.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Frank, Have you set an approximate price for the center mount insert?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I simply want to see if either would fit in a 914, not much vertical room.
The DTMV2 exists for that reason. A low profile stock shroud for a Thing probably fits.

A sander would probably reduce it to the "funny" internal shape pretty quick, just make sure where you are sanding.

I'm thinking of getting the centermount insert and bonding a face and back with venturi inlet on it, as I need to make a different stand for the T4 anyway, so I might as well build a fan housing around the insert.
Duro Plastic Welder works Awesome on ABS and steel, and not bad on aluminum.
Might end up "funny" shaped as well, great idea!
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Lo Cash,

Wasn't it you guys I bought your old drag race roll bar from?

We've been selling the center mount inserts for $150 and shipping. No idea what the 36hp housings will cost.

Where are you located now?

FJC
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Hey Frank,

Yup, you bought the roll bar out of my old turbo Ghia (Super poop Ghia) and adapted it for road racing.

We're still in Florida. I'm in the south end of Jacksonville and Lester is still in St Augustine. Life and other people's projects have kept us from working on our own junk but that's turning around now.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Lo Cash,

The bar you built (with the diagonal brace we requested) actually proved to be vintage race legal. Can you build a duplicate? Maybe trade you a couple of centermount inserts?

FJC
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Frank, we can absolutely duplicate that bar, however I'd have to check materials prices and do a little math.

Now a days we are using a JD2 Model 4 tubing bender and can work in 1-1/2" or 1-5/8" tubing. We've also invested in Bend-Tech PRO and SM CAD software to make design and repetition easier. http://www.bend-tech.com/product_infos/bt_pro.html http://www.bend-tech.com/product_infos/bt_sm.html

Pretty awesome stuff.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Does anyone happen to know the height of a stock 36 HP fan shroud from crank centerline or top of trans flange?
I don't have one to measure, or any t1s for that matter.
Centermount same height?

If its the same as a doghouse or 1/2" shorter (for example) that's sufficient info.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

You may already have done, but I urge you to get a patent in on this, save someone stealing your hard work! And YOUR money!

Great work
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

YES!!! What he said!!
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

The 36hp shroud on the right. So far built but untested.

Gentlemen,

I am an old hand at patenting. I currently own multiple patents in over 24 countries for computer security tech equipment, and have a provisional patent filed on the fan insert and will have another on the 36hp style fan housing.

John, I have two of the center-mount inserts set aside for you. My offer to trade them to you for a duplicate roll bar still stands. We'll take any legal size tubing you might have on hand, but prefer the lighter tubing when possible. No worry about sanding, painting, etc.

Your bar is excellent. It conforms to 1972 SCCA bolt-in bar specs, and is very protective despite being a roll bar and not a roll cage. Being a six-point bar is what makes the difference. I like it because it is classical in style for vintage racing and light.

FJC
Last edited by FJCamper on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.