Squishy, dry-sumped 2276 build thread

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.

Moderator: Tom Notch

Crawdad

Re: Squishy, dry-sumped 2276 build thread

Post by Crawdad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 pm

I ditched by bling CB pump cover for a couple of reasons. First, it's aluminum, and second it sticks out so far it requires use of a pulley that I believe is even smaller than a power pulley. Instead I followed FJ Camper in using a cheap Empi steel cover, which I sanded flat on the glass and countersunk the mounting holes so I can use countersunk bolts. The result should be low-profile enough that I can use a stock-sized pulley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad » Sun May 13, 2018 9:52 am

At this point I am just waiting for the flywheel that will allow me to mate this motor to the Subaru five-speed I have lying on the shop floor. I need the flywheel so I can have the whole rotating assembly balanced, before I assemble it. It's been about five months since I ordered everything from SubaruGears.

Clatter

Post by Clatter » Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 am

Said it already,
But,
Love this build...
"Oh, You don't need to do all that... The valve seats are just going to fall out of it anyway!"
- Doug Ellsworth

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853

Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt » Wed May 23, 2018 4:43 pm

I just clocked a little over 7500 hard miles on my squishy build. I have set #1 of the pistons.

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Good to hear from you, Steve. Team Squishy! And thanks for the kind word, Clatter. This build has gone dormant while I continue to wait for that flywheel from SubaruGears, or at least a response to my emails. I wonder if everything is OK down under? In the meantime I am doing body work, which comes after an eight-year saga of rust repair.