Not another cam recommendation post??? Yup.... Low CR 2332cc

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
onemoreproject

Not another cam recommendation post??? Yup.... Low CR 2332cc

Post by onemoreproject »

Hey folks,

Looking for recommendations for this....

I'm rebuilding an old race draw through turbo motor into a NA street duty motor.

42x37.5 heads, like a mild wedge port design (older pre cnc 044's) that have been semi hemi'd many moons ago.
1.4:1 rockers.
CR will be around 8.5-8.7:1 (can't remember the exact CC and deck).
84 x 94 obviously.
Carb choice - I was thinking 44 or 48 IDF's (? advice please, I live in a very hilly area with some real steep gradients so please bear that in mind)
I have an 1 3/4 merged header... will it be too big?
Cam... I had an FK47 in it (which I still have) but thats obviously not going to cut the mustard... give me your thoughts.

I'm really looking for a choice of cam and carbs that will get me a car that will cope with steep hills and lots of them, along with the stock gearing and 3.88 R&P in my stock-ish weight bug.

Ideas on a postcard, sorry if this is old ground!
onemoreproject

Re: Not another cam recommendation post??? Yup.... Low CR 2332cc

Post by onemoreproject »

Should have added, I really do not give two hoots about drag strip performance, it will likely never see the track again. I'm after reliability, longevity and torque, even at the sacrifice of gobs of high end power if needs be.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Fk8 or web 86b are popular choices. Bump the compression into the 9:1 territory.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Perhaps you guys can recommend a cam for my 2056cc T4 build......jk jk, I'm going Web 86a

H2OSB
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

OP, Something in the neighborhood of 280 advertised duration, keep compression where it is. Add water injection later if it pings going up steep grades activated by throttle positions over 2/3.