SS/VX engine combo.

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
OFP857

SS/VX engine combo.

Post by OFP857 »

Greetings.

There was an SS/VX racer at an NHRA national event that I attended recently, and I thought that it looked like fun.

At the risk of redundancy, I'll give a brief synopsis of the engine-related portion of the NHRA rule book as it pertains to the SS/VX class:

12 pounds per cubic inch, including driver.
2444cc (149 cid) max engine size, which at 12 pounds per cubic inch, would require a minimum weight of 1,788 pounds.
1,600 pound minimum weight, which at 12 pounds per cubic inch, would require an engine no larger than 2180cc (133 cubic inches).
94.1mm maximum bore.
Roller lifters are not allowed. Max valve lift is .630". Max valve sizes are 44.1/37.5mm.
Stock intake manifold flange pattern is required, although porting and welding are allowed.
Max throttle plate size 52mm, max carburetor venturi size 44mm.
Racing gas from the NHRA approved fuel list.

I believe these rules closely mimic similar classes run by other sanctioning organizations, including the "Pro Gas" class that requires serialized CB Performance CNC-ported "Pro Gas" 044 heads, the Jaycee Super Stock class, and possibly others.

The NHRA SS/VX national record was previously held by Doug Gonzalez and Anthony Chicca of D&A Racing with a 10.49. I watched an in-car video of Chicca- it looks like he's launching it off about an 8,800 rpm chip in the two-step, shifting at about 9,000 rpm, and going through on the top end at about 7,500 rpm or so. I would not be interested in pursuing the national record in this class, I would just like to be able to comfortably run under the current 11.60 index.

I'd be interested in learning what kind of an engine combo would be appropriate for this class.
Last edited by OFP857 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
OFP857

Re: SS/VX engine combo.

Post by OFP857 »

Here's the video of Chicca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt2qm_XyaTU

Is that an RLR/MSE vertical-gate shifter?
OFP857

Post by OFP857 »

I'm playing with the math here, and it looks like crankshaft strokes from 78mm to 88mm will fit this class, when combined with the 94mm bore.

All things being equal, I would think that a smaller engine would be less hindered by the rule restrictions relating to the 44.1/37.5mm valves, .630" lift, stock intake manifold flange pattern, and 44mm carburetor venturis.

But then again, a larger engine would probably have less trouble overcoming the large gaps in gearing, when trying to use only four gears to get from 0 to 120+ mph.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

80mm would probably be a great place to start.