5 point harness

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Adam

5 point harness

Post by Adam »

I am thinking about installing a 5 pt. harness in my car. Can anyone tell me where the restraints attatch to the car? Do they bolt to the stock holes? Do they use the rear seatbelt mounts? I'm confused? Who is a good company to buy a system from? And finally, one last question, is this the type of restraint system most euro-look guys use?

Thanks for the help

Adam
CptanPanic2

5 point harness

Post by CptanPanic2 »

As far as I know you are pretty much on your own with a five point harness. Like you will need to drill your own holes in the pan and such to mount the belts.
Brian
Darryl

5 point harness

Post by Darryl »

Depending on the year of your car, you will have to drill holes in your pan on pass./ driver sides to accomodate the outer lap belt. Certain years have provisions.

You must request floor mount shoulder belts to have correct length. (Or put in 4 point cage with cross bar 3" below your seated shoulder to set up for standard 5 point.)

As for the crotch strap, assuming your seat tracks are VW, you can loop off the front cross bar. Or again drill the floor.

Make sure that when/if you secure your belts to the floor at any area, you MUST use a sufficient plate under the floor so the belt will not PULL THrough!
Darryl

5 point harness

Post by Darryl »

More...

I purchased my 5 pts. from my local Speed Shop @ $70.00 a side. (US) Then, I obtained an Ol' Johhny's Speed and Chrome 4 point Bolt In cage and fabbed a cross bar at the reccommended position for MY shoulder height while sitting in "driving" mode.

If your car has belt mounts on the outsides,i.e.: body near heat channels, then use those for securing the outer laps. Use the inner pan locations for inner laps. Crotch 5th pt. is up to you and the safest way. (Like above post)

The brand I chose was RCI. Go for function and then looks. Make sure you want these in your car as they are cumbersum for a daily driver and tend to damage pretty interior paint or billet door sills if not careful.

Remember, if you are really going to rely on them...SECURE THEM RIGHT!
Darryl

5 point harness

Post by Darryl »

One more damn thing........make sure your seats are 5 point freindly!

Mainly shoulder straps function and clearence.

Good Luck.
Adam

5 point harness

Post by Adam »

Darryl,

Thanks for all the great info! I plan on using some Recaro or Corbeau seats {any advice} in my car. I don't think my car {71 Super} is going to be a daily driver but, are the 5 points annoying or more hassle than what they're worth? If you don't mind, what how do you use your car? Do you know if 5 point harnesses are what most of the euro/German look guys use? Oh, and finally, do you have any info on the Ol' Johnnys Speed & Chrome cage, sound pretty cool. Where can I find them? Do you have any other recommendations for cages I can use {full
cages}?

Thanks again,

Adam
Darryl

5 point harness

Post by Darryl »

Good luck finding a JS&Chrome 4 point as they are long gone! Try So Cal Imports.

I built my 67 Bug by the BLUE BOOK mostly, and it kicks ass! If others would simply research an experts knowledge and use it to their benifit, they too would Know how to make a T1 live!!! I use my Bug for any occassion during New Englands dry months. And I take Long Trips with it, like Maple Grove for instance. Some feel it's too far for a T1 forced induction motor, they are just uneducated.

As far as the Euro/ German, Cal/ Resto or whatever "LOOK" is doing...I don't know. I build my cars my way and that's all I need. Be creative.

Limitations produce Imitations! Build your car to your liking, not a crowd's!