GEX International Rip Off?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
kevin @ No Dollars Racing

Post by kevin @ No Dollars Racing »

I have heard nothing but poop about GEX and am thankful that when I thought about buying from them (before I had a brain, I mean before I knew anything about VW's) that I never actually did. I do however remember at a VW shop (will leave name out but I am sure they will remember some of this), but a customer bought a GEX stroker style motor and put it in a very nice pearl white bug with matching tin with airbrush work all over it. I do believe it blew shiznit all over the inside of the engine compartment and rear fenders, and etc on the first couple of revs. The exact rememberance is a little blurry but you get the jist. It is a GEX POS as always and the customer gets the screw....

To all the advertisers out there. Here is my offer. For 1/2 of what you pay the 2 big mags, the coupon flyers, the yellow pages, or whomever. Send me the cash and your clip art or vinyl stickers and I will put them on my race car and get you a full year of advertising. This includes all races in my area (or yours if you pay the travel for me, the car, and the team), daily driven, and car shows I am associated with. I dont care if you are Kotex, I would paint my car pink and run the shiznit out of it anyways for the right amount of money. I am only saying this cause I need a good marketing partnership to make it to all the races since I cannot afford them all by myself.

I am not trying to take away from the post just letting Jake and other reputable people like him that advertising with them is very expensive but nothing is better than word of mouth. I try not to buy anything VW related (or most anything for that matter) without doing some research to see if the product is worth what I am to pay for it.

To all please stop buying from GEX so they will go out of business and we can then start on the other MOFOCOS (mother freakers) or whomever deserves it next. Good luck and keep the VW alive.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

When you can't gain repeat customers or when you have only BAD word of mouth you are forced to get the big ads to get fresh meat in the door!

I have spent a whopping 75 bucks on ONE AD since I started my business. Since age 13 (when I gained my first paying customer) everything has been word of mouth and repeat business.

I have built 17 engines for ONE customer!!

Those ads are so friggin expensive that I don't see their benefit since we have the NET now..... My 39.95 a month for webhosting keeps me 6+ months backlogged all the time.
tc

Post by tc »

what is the going rate on those adds
kevin @ No Dollars Racing

Post by kevin @ No Dollars Racing »

I think Jake said something about $2500 per listing per month. this is not a yearly contract just one page in one magazine for one month. Sounds like a friggin rippoff to me. The coupon packs or mailer packs that get sent out average around $1250-$1500 depending on the setup and etc and it is only good for one mailing and like the mags you will have to reup if you want another add in upcoming editions.
As always, racers make excellent marketing partnerships cause most of the time they use the products that they are representing and with some of us, like myself, I can help promote the product at shows, races, events, and etc.... Hope this helps and hopefully business's who want to advertise will take my words and start working a little more with the racers who spend thier money on their products and start using them to promote their products instead of paying some mag or paper to promote their business/services or products.
I am always open to new options, just give me a shout. Have a great New Year and be safe, I dont want to read about any of you on the posts tomorrow. 8)
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

sadly we bought a rebuilt from C1P a few years back. During our restoration we decided to take the heads off and found one side had a large ding in it and it looked like whatever made the ding had been bouncing around for a while. http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/ ... e005-1.jpg
:oops: not a happy camper :evil:
Last edited by bullyboy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petevw

Post by petevw »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: Do it once.
Do it right.

Open the wallet once.

ohhh....... how i couldn't AGREE MORE!!
'01 Golf - some mods
'72 Super - more mods
'52 Split - crazy mods

'65 Bus 21w W\T - stock for now
WHINEMAN

Re: GEX International Rip Off?

Post by WHINEMAN »

I just recently ran into the same thing warranty is not worth the paper is written on. Engine had 200 miles on it Engine froze up and they will not warranty it. After reviewing componentry used on the inside of the engine case instead of grinding out portions of the block They ground off the backside of the connecting rod to make room in the case.(Stroker) The cam gear was pitted so bad that there is only a small portion of the gears left, so it was just a matter of time for it would've had further damage(used !! rust pitted). I should never ignore people's reviews. I gave them a chance, and it now cost me a $6000 education. What is amazing to me is how this company can continue stay in business with the reviews it gets in the customer service.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

Why are you amazed? You indicate you read other peoples reviews yet you opened your wallet anyway? It's sort of a collective version of "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

The best thing you can do is take the motor to a QUALITY engine builder and see what can be salvaged. From there, have that shop build a motor that meets your needs.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

Clearancing the backside of rods is common for a mild 'drop in' stroker, but it depends a lot of who does them and how they're done. Rusty and damaged parts is another story. Not to kick a man when he's down, but it still amazes me that people order engines from GEX with all the bad reviews. So many other reputable builders out there that will build you the same engine for near the same money. :roll:
jbbugs

Post by jbbugs »

GEX still manages to rope in a few Suckers with flashy ads, and cheap prices.
Sometimes You get what you pay for.
The Newf

Post by The Newf »

Seems like anybody that can spell "VW" has a GEX story.lol.All these people can't be wrong...