Herrod helper?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
neil68

Re: Herrod helper?

Post by neil68 »

Picked up a Herrod Helper repro unit from Gilmore Enterprises in Las Vegas. Very nice workmanship and fit perfectly:

ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Nice, did you paint it to match?
neil68

Post by neil68 »

Yes, powdercoated similar to Savanna Beige, but it probably needs a coat of wax to match the body paint :)
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

I'm so used to the one on mine, I think cars w/o one are missing it. My father put it on the car way back when to mount his CB antenna, turns out it was actually functional and the car has never been without it since. Although I did remove the CB when I put it back on the road two years ago.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I always thought a ducktail like setup off a decklid w/standoffs, or right at the top of the decklid if not stood off would be far more functional.
Would break up the big vorticies while effectively ramming air into the engine compartment.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I also remember reading a magazine article from way back where they did semi-scientific back-to-back testing (nothing as sophisticated as a wind-tunnel so it's hard to say how valid their results were, but they did make a sincere effort). All I remember was the conclusion that they reached. They speculated that they might've achieved equal results using the box it came in ;)