Rebuilding the 1972 Super Autostick for my Wife

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
ajdenette

Re: Rebuilding the 1972 Super Autostick for my Wife

Post by ajdenette »

Well we finished the welding on the pan putting the jack point back on and cleaned it up for paint started with a good coat of POR15 here it is wet as we headed out of the garage for some fresh air

Also got the fan shroud sand blasted and painted up
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Brakes are in new disks for the front and freshened up drums going out back

This brake pedal fought me quite hard, I had to drill out the pin and got a little off center this pedal and shaft are not great any more

pedal cluster waiting on some more work but looking a lot better, moving freely and the powder coated pedals to rebuild with

Rear backing plates stripped down ready for sand blasting and re coating

fixed a hole in a heater box still needs some more sand blasting and a fresh coat of paint
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I picked up a super nose just for the kick panel / fire wall it is in pretty good shape and a lot better than the body for the car

It came with a late style idler arm with a good bronze bushing so that got cleaned up and painted ready for rebuild

And an order of cables one set of heater control cables and 2 each of clutch and accelerator so there should always be a spare in the car and some shift components to rebuild that system

Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

While we had the nose that is much lighter than the entire body I felt it prudent to do a test fit and it showed an issue, the nose rocks on the 2 ends of the Napoleons hat and there is a large gap between the body and the napoleons hat.

Here is the pad on the body where it is sitting high

It seems to be sitting high because these raised sections on the napoleons hat

Should I cut those pads off and try to make them level with the area around them? Or should I try to bend the napoleons hat ends down the do seem to be a little higher and maybe not as flat as they should be almost like a W.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)