Socal Thing's "First-timer" rebuild

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
socal thing

Socal Thing's "First-timer" rebuild

Post by socal thing »

Hello STF,
I have been reading here and, over on TheSamba for about 2 years now. After being stationed in CA two years ago I finally made a dream of mine come true when I traded a '63 Chevy stepside for 3 different VW machines. This will be my build thread for one of them, A 1968 Type 1, 1500cc.
DSC_0215.JPG
This is a CA car it has minimal rust with the only two places I have found being: the drivers kick panel and, under the battery. The area under the battery has been replaced with a piece of diamond plate aluminum and a few self-tapping screws by the PO.
Fast forward to today, in the time I have had the vehicle I have been able to: rebuilt the Solex Pict 30 carb, replace the master brake cylinder, both front wheel cylinders and all associated rubber and brake components on the front. I have also bought and adapted two high-back seats (which I did for safety in a collision), managed to reconnect most of the vehicle wiring harness since the PO bought the car from a body shop that had stripped it to paint and left it untouched until I got it
This week I received my 7mm brake line and fluid reservoir from Woflsburg West.
DSC_0206.JPG
I spent some time today installing those. Had to get some new brake fluid late today so the next step will be bleeding the system to see if my new brake light switches will work and finally give me brake lights.
DSC_0210.JPG
DSC_0211.JPG

I am excited to get this thing on the road and, continue working my way through the wealth of VW knowledge here,
SoCal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
socal thing

Re: Socal Thing's "First-timer" rebuild

Post by socal thing »

It has brake lights! My 17 year old daughter and I spent about an hour bleeding the worst looking excuse for fluid I have ever seen out of the bug. It may not be the original from '68 but it can't be much newer. The new master cylinder and two new brake light switches did their job and for the first time since I have owned the car I have brake lights! My goal is to drive the car to work by the end of the month and this is huge step. It's the little things in life.
ST
socal thing

Re: Socal Thing's "First-timer" rebuild

Post by socal thing »

Final outcome. About 3 months after this work and tinkering with small issues, I sold this car to a mother and son near by for his first car. My Daughter got a used all wheel drive Subaru as her high school/east coast college car which she really enjoys. I have since started plans to finish the Sand Sprite 6 that I got as a package deal along with this car. Thanks to the great tech info on this site the '68 was a good learning opportunity and even more fun to take and a play in occasionally.

On to the rail,
ST