Air filter too old?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
crvc

Re: Air filter too old?

Post by crvc »

The tin has just the left hole. Although it's a '67 a lot of it is more like a '66. It had a small flywheel. The starter was a rewired 6volt. IT has 8 fuses while the '67 manual shows 10. I had the small round oil bath but tossed it out. This air cleaner probably came from the 73 or 74 bug I used to have.

kevin
Marc

Post by Marc »

Spring's just around the corner, you'll have months to come up with the right sheetmetal to match any `68-up aircleaner's warm-air inlet. If it were me in your situation I'd have another go at cleaning this aircleaner since you've already modified it for the small LH air hose, and if that doesn't work out get a `72 and plan to change the tin arrangement by fall.
A good soaking inverted in Simple Green followed by hot water and mineral spirits rinses (and left to drip dry overnight) should make enough of an improvement to notice, if not enough to last another 40 years :)
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Marc, sometimes even that does not help.

I still have mine on the shelf, and have thoughts of cutting it open and nodding it for a round cartridge, off the shelf filter.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Uh-huh. We're starting to talk in circles now, that option has been covered well enough I think.
All I'm saying is that before I'd go that route, personally I'd put the effort into improving the overall function of the T.A.C. system of a car that lives in such a cool clime.
crvc

Post by crvc »

What's TAC?
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Thermal air control?
That is the only reason that I would gut my oil bath to fit a paper filter.
Currently, I have the benefits of the paper filter easy, and relatively cheap, with the benefit of the ghia style snorkel, fuel reversion/fog standoff control. What I do not have is the warm up intake air function. At this point, there is no easy way to add it.

Fortunately I am in Dallas, and only have to deal with winter temps for a very limited time.
Marc

Post by Marc »

helowrench wrote:Thermal air control?...
Close enough, I suppose - it still gets the point across. The acronym (TAC) is generally interpreted as "thermostatic aircleaner".
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Thank you Marc.
crvc

Post by crvc »

Yes, thanks.

kevin