Steering wheel replacement options

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
KarenTheBug

Steering wheel replacement options

Post by KarenTheBug »

The clips that hold the horn button / pad on my stock 1972 Super Beetle are damaged and my horn pad keeps popping off at random times. The damage appears to be on the wheel side of the clip system; I can feel where three of the four circular clips are missing a few of their "ridges."

For now, electrical tape wrapped around the edges of the spokes is holding it in place. What are my options for replacement? The local VW guys call me "the Stock Nazi," so I want to either A) Refurbish my stock 1972 wheel (ideal), or B) Replace it with a reproduction VW-style wheel (ideally something else standard for a 1972, or an earlier reproduction). It's my understanding that the 1962-1971 style with the chrome horn ring won't fit, but I don't know why.
Since 1938, it's what the People want.
1971 Type 1 model 1300 Sedan
1972 Type 1 model 1302 Sedan
Marc

Re: Steering wheel replacement options

Post by Marc »

The early 4-spoke wheel like yours should have the same-diameter splines as the previous-generation two-spoke wheels (I used to have a `72 wheel on my `69; it may still be around here somewhere). Sometime around mid-1973 (sources disagree on the exact date, and I've never seen a "changeover" VIN cited) the shaft was reduced to the smaller size used in Rabbits, etc. but the look of the wheel (and the horn-button retention setup) wasn't changed. So, yours is somewhat rare.
Would replacing these parts with new help? http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 13-415-779

I'm pretty sure that the analogous waterpumper part (321 415 779) will also work on the Bug wheel; check at the Pick-n-Pull for Dashers/Rabbits/924s, etc.
KarenTheBug

Post by KarenTheBug »

That's probably it, but it's out of stock, and I don't do business with CIP1 anymore after a horrible experience (bad enough it made The Samba's forum). Found a comparable full kit from another website at a much lower price, though. Thanks!
Since 1938, it's what the People want.
1971 Type 1 model 1300 Sedan
1972 Type 1 model 1302 Sedan
Marc

Post by Marc »

I just linked CIP1 because they had a good picture and the part number. These parts haven't been in production for quite a while, so many places are running out of them.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Marc wrote: Sometime around mid-1973 (sources disagree on the exact date, and I've never seen a "changeover" VIN cited) the shaft was reduced to the smaller size used in Rabbits, etc.....
Marc, you're slipping....
large splines up to chassis# 114 2353 465
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yes, I've been preoccupied with family stuff since Easter. That's very helpful. The folks making & selling steering wheels and adapters don't seem to be interested in promulgating that. I suspect the confusion arises because Supers and Standards probably didn't change over at the same time, plus Supers got their own unique second VIN digit for `73-up...would you happen to also know the last Super with large splines?