custom shift rod build for my 68

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
buggin68hippi

Re: custom shift rod build for my 68

Post by buggin68hippi »

well problems aside i got some more work done on the shifter.. i drilled the holes in the top half and mocked it up.. still have some grinding and cleaning up to do b4 it gets tacked together..
buggin68hippi

Post by buggin68hippi »

got more work done today!.. i clamped the threads into a 1/2" tube and welded it in place.. then cut to size and welded up the bottom.. also got the holes and tubes cut for the bottom half of the shifter
buggin68hippi

Post by buggin68hippi »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:First of all let me apologize for not doing this a long time ago.

Two Hurst/EMPI shifters. The top one is the bus shifter you saw in the picture of the Redhead Roadster Cute-T I posted. The second one is a Hurst/EMPI shifter for a type I (years unknown to me).

This is the shifter end for the Type I shifter.

Again, the type I shifter.

This is the shifter end for the Bus (type 2) shifter.

The Bus shifter measurements.

If you need more pix please let me know just what you need. It will take a bit as the batteries for my caliper are just about gone and I will have to get some new ones.

Lee

do you think a spacer would make up for that extra length of that bus shifter to make it work proper?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I am going to give you two answers the second of which would probably mean it would not be practical.

First: you should be able to build a spacer that will accommodate the difference in height between a bug shifter and a bus shifter w/o too much of a problem. I am not sure if the hole in the tunnel might have to be enlarged or not. If you want I could make a quick spacer up I guess but I don't have the bolts to bolt it in place which is where the hang-up would be.

Second (and here is where I think there is going to be a problem): the throw into the hockey stick should be incredibly short and the gate would be incredibly narrow. If I remember these shifters are intended to be shorter and tighter than stock so with the longer ball at the end going into the pod for the shift rod/hockey stick you would be speeding up the shift rod's action a whole lot; fore and aft and side to side.

Is it worth a try? Yes... probably but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work too well. I could be wrong on the tight narrow action though as I only laid it out (did a layout) in my head.

Lee
buggin68hippi

Post by buggin68hippi »

so i went down to the local vw shop.. they said over the phone they didnt have the big one.. so i was just going to pick up the 13" one and extend it.. got to the shop and saw one of the big ones on the floor behind the counter lol.. it came with spacers but i also picked up a short throw shift spacer... and installed it with just the short throw spacer and it works awesomely! and fit perfect.. i def thought i was gonna have to fight it or mess with it a bunch.. but first through 4th is smooth and fine.. reverse works awesome... in neutral there is lil play.. im really surprised! i still want to finish the custom one ive been workin on since i started it already but installing this was to easy lol.. only thing i want to do is get rid the of black plastic shift knob and have my buddy machine me one out of aluminum to look like the old school white 50-60ish style knobs..
buggin68hippi

Post by buggin68hippi »

also if anything i might take my torch and heat up just below the trigger like 2" or so and bend it towards the dash a tad so its not so laid back.. but either way its still comfortable how it sits
buggin68hippi

Post by buggin68hippi »

also i think i might of installed the quick shift upside down lol.. ill have to flip it around.. not sure if it matters though.. works fine how it is
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Well dog my cats" (a Beverly Hillbillies TV show statement that Jeb Clampett used to say. The same period of time you are talking about).

I knew of the spacer but did not even think about it as I thought it was more for the stock shifter's use.

In the picture of the black buggy, which is similar to a Berry Mini-T +4, I wanted to put a bend in the shift rod so in gear the top of the handle would sit straight up but was afraid it would damage the chrome during bending.

The dash of my '28 roadster.

My '30 coupe.

Back in the 60's you mentioned, maybe even a bit earlier we had tall shifter handles in our hot rods usually with beer tap handles on them as well as more common 8-balls and then there were some nasty gestures made when resins first became available (we used rubber gloves as molds) but hopefully I/we have grown up a bit since those days.

Good work on rediscovering that spacer and letting me know that it worked.

Lee