30 / 36 hp push rods

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
dustrat

30 / 36 hp push rods

Post by dustrat »

I am rebuilding a 1200cc 30/36 hp engine and when I have come to replace push rods it seems that the lobs on rod that sits on camshaft is higher on one side. Not the best explaination but hope you understand. Does the high lob go to top or bottom ? :? :?
Robert
Marc

Re: 30 / 36 hp push rods

Post by Marc »

The flats on the guideplates prevent you from installing the pushrods upside-down.

The guideplates can be shifted slightly to adjust the sideplay, which is extremely snug (.0004 to .0008" - that's not a typo, it's about half a thousandth of an inch). When properly adjusted you won't be able to feel any movement, yet the pushrod will slip through of its own weight.
dustrat

Re: 30 / 36 hp push rods

Post by dustrat »

Thanks for info Marc, its over 50 years ago since I last did any work on 30/36 hp engine. As soon as I read your reply I realised and they went in straight away. Been a bit of a problem this engine getting bits and pieces, yes can get them but have search around .Managed to get fuel pump ,a cylinder head and had to drill 28 PCI carb body out and fit spindle bushes. Again thanks for jogging my memory
Robert