Shift Rod Swap

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
FJCamper

Shift Rod Swap

Post by FJCamper »

How feasible is it to install a a 1967 and earlier shift rod into a 1968 and later floor pan?

The purpose is to be able to use the earlier shifter which has a locating notch in the cup.

Is there more to this than just swapping shift rods?

Thanks,

FJC
Marc

Re: Shift Rod Swap

Post by Marc »

The length is different. I've been notching the late shiftrods to accept early-style shifters for 30 years - I recommend it, esp. for `68-`72 - puts Third gear position within easier reach. It can even be done with a small-diameter cutoff wheel with the shiftrod still in the tunnel, if you don't mind nicking into the top of the tunnel a bit...the ball housing will cover the damaged area so nobody but you will know ;)
Here's the shifter in my `69 daily-driver. My son used the bottom section of a `67 shifter and made the rest of the lever to offset the knob rearward.

Before someone suggests using an AutoStick shiftrod which already has the notch - they're ~¾" shorter than the same-year 4-speed rod, and the coupler mounting hole is displaced by ~15°. Both issues can be addressed by welding an extension onto the front half of the shift coupler, but personally I prefer to just cut the notch in the 4-speed rod.
`73-up are somewhat shorter than `68-`72; Standards/Supers/'Ghias all use the same length, year-for-year.