New Carb

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dupe

New Carb

Post by Dupe »

Where's the best place to order a cheap new carb setup. Looking for either a single IDF or a dual solex style setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Marc

Re: New Carb

Post by Marc »

For street use a single IDF is just asking for problems, don't do it.

The EMPI Chinese-made clones of the Weber 34ICT dual 1-bbls had some problems when they first came out, but from what I've heard those have been sorted and they're a decent choice for the money. They work well on 16-1700cc engines; I know of a shop back east that puts them on nearly every mild engine they build, up to and including 2-liters...I wouldn't go beyond 1775cc myself, but they claim they have good results with no more than a main jet change. They take the same type of main jet as the ubiquitous Holley/Weber 32/26 progressive carbs, so they're not hard to find. Street price is about $300; shop around for the best deal shipped. EMPI P/N 47-7411-0 for the dualport kit. CIP1 has 'em at $270, vs $396 for the genuine Weber version.

The ICTs were originally made for use as singles on a small delivery van in the U.K. and the F78 emulsion tubes that they come with aren't ideal; F5 or F6 tubes make them less prone to stumble. Personally I don't have any complaints about how they run with the F78s (at least not enough to justify spending ~$40 or so for a pair of the other ones)...just mentioning it since you might find it necessary.

Not that long ago the Weber 34ICT kits cost more than "Kadrons" (Solex H40/44EIS) but nowadays it's hard to find the Kads for less than ~$550 new - they're very common used, though - you should be able to find a setup in decent condition for ~$300. One of the first things to go on them is the throttle shaft bores so be sure to check that. Sloppy throttle shafts will make it impossible to get consistent idle; replacing (or rebushing) them can cost $100 or so.
Kads will work on any size engine, personally I think they're best for 1679 to ~1850cc. Plenty of folks run `em on mild 1915s and report good results.
ainokea

Re: New Carb

Post by ainokea »

Empi has suffered a good amount from the Chinese made parts that are flooding the VW market. I had to buy Chinese big valve heads a couple years ago because nothing better was available for the prices being tossed out for used heads. I was skeptical at first, but after these couple of years running the heads, no more after thoughts. I would assume it is pretty much the same as in the late 60's and early 70's when Japan was making VW parts. I got a set of 92's made by NPR Japan and put them in an off road buggy. Never had a problem. Maybe after a long dry period Empi is improving like Japan did. But for now I'll keep my Weber 44IDF's.