Autocross in a Super beetle

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dupe

Autocross in a Super beetle

Post by Dupe »

So i'm currently rebuilding a 72 Super my wife bought me as a project. I've got the motor torn down and am about to pull the tranny. I've been thinking about getting into Autocross, they have SCCA races down here in South West Louisiana. But i know nothing about the classes. What classes would a Super run in and what mods would move me to a different class. I don't want to make too many major engine upgrades if it ends up putting me a class that i'd have trouble competing in.
Thanks for the advice, I'm experienced with bugs but a noob with autocross.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dupe on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJCamper

Re: Autocross in a Super beetle

Post by FJCamper »

ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Best to download a copy of rules. And go to a race and talk to a few knowledgeable people. I doubt a SB will be very competitive in a stock class and may need many mods to be even somewhat competitive in any class. Get a good idea of what you might want to do to car (mods wise) and see were that dumps you.
Dupe

Post by Dupe »

Thanks!

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

If you don't go too crazy with mods, you'll be in a street prepared class. Super Beetles are generally not competitive, but they are very fun to autocross. When lowered a reasonable amount, they have incredible grip.

It IS worth your while to do disc brakes front and rear, and not necessarily giant Porsche brakes. The typical conversion kits are adequate, as the stock drums are only slightly underwhelming. Disc drakes are generally better for several reasons, but for autocrossing, the stock drums work fairly well if in good condition because you don't normally autocross through puddles and runs don't last too long, thus have time to cool down between runs.

Super Beetles are not too damaging to brakes or tires, so reasonably sticky street tires would allow for some fun but not break the bank by having to be replaced often.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Trying to run a super beetle in H stock is a waste of time, plain and simple. If there's even 1 newer (1998-up) mini cooper you won't beat them. 50hp and drum brakes just won't cut it.

With mild mods, you run in street prepared, which is I think is FSP for a bug but I could be wrong. Rabbits, Honda Civics, and Sciroccos are very competitive in this class though.

Just beyond mild mods you'll run in E prepared, which you could be pretty competitive in with a bug. Do a lot of homework though.

Take a look at these two groups, there's super beetles being built up for auto-X and road racing:

viewforum.php?f=51
viewforum.php?f=15

You'll be racing at McNeese State and the 1 race they still have in Lafayette (unless things changed the last time I ran over there a few years ago with my Golf)?
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

And SM (Street Modified) is essentially "anything goes" as long as it's a VW motor. This is pretty much the other end of the spectrum for a "street legal" car.

And an upper strut brace is a free ride directly to SP.(pretty sure)
Marc

Post by Marc »

I can't speak to how it's done in LA, but around here you can run for one season as a "novice" during which time the only rules that'll be enforced are those pertaining to safety.
I suggest you see if that's true for you as well (find out when they start counting off a "season" too) and if it is, use that first year to try out 2 or 3 configurations, then settle on what class you'll build the car to run in thereafter.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Marc wrote:I can't speak to how it's done in LA, but around here you can run for one season as a "novice" during which time the only rules that'll be enforced are those pertaining to safety.
I suggest you see if that's true for you as well (find out when they start counting off a "season" too) and if it is, use that first year to try out 2 or 3 configurations, then settle on what class you'll build the car to run in thereafter.
That is some good advice. Get involved and run some events, see if you like it and learn how the classing works. You may find you don't need to have a modified car to have fun. And, unless you're a hidden phenom, you won't be winning you class anytime soon.
Marc

Post by Marc »

ps2375 wrote:...unless you're a hidden phenom, you won't be winning your class anytime soon.
My son ran a few events as a novice and had a blast doing it - he even received kudos from several veteran competitors for his aggressive style (there's something especially rewarding about spanking a rich dentist or lawyer in a prepared car with an old VW, even if it didn't conform to class rules)...he didn't pursue it any further, but you may find it worthwhile.

If their car-count is low, there may even be an informal "exhibition" class where you'll be allowed to participate indefinitely - or until the rich guys gripe too much because you're making them look lame ;)
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Anything less of a nationals event, no one is ever going to challenge a car. Not even in the quarterly events we had in Louisiana. I ran my FSP Golf there against a Toyota Tacoma 2WD truck with coilovers, DOT slicks, etc. He had about 50% more power than I did and just a few hundred more pounds of weight. Not much could be done about it though. Sigh.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Jadewombat wrote:Anything less of a nationals event, no one is ever going to challenge a car. Not even in the quarterly events we had in Louisiana. I ran my FSP Golf there against a Toyota Tacoma 2WD truck with coilovers, DOT slicks, etc. He had about 50% more power than I did and just a few hundred more pounds of weight. Not much could be done about it though. Sigh.
Don't see what wouldn't have made the truck challenge-able for SP class, unless he wasn't in that class. I don't understand your post.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Sorry, I didn't explain it well enough. Even when you're grossly outclassed legally a local event, no one really challenges it nor when the rules are bent under the hood or fenders.
ChadH

Post by ChadH »

If you're new to the sport, just sign up, run in whatever class the tech guys put you in, and don't worry about class or times just yet. All but the most snooty of racers will think running a Beetle is cool as heck, and you'll likely make friends and get more advice that you'll know what to do with. The two biggest factors in your times will be experience and tires. Engine and suspension will become important after you get the other two. Get some races under your belt without spending a lot of money making race-specific mods before deciding how deep you want to dive. Just go have fun.
Dupe

Post by Dupe »

Thanks, i just put the body back on the pan and currently have the engine torn down, ordering parts. Was wanting to get info before i built the motor so i didn't waste money building something and then have to take it apart and build it again.