I want a side terminal post battery for my 1973 Beetle

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Jim Ed

I want a side terminal post battery for my 1973 Beetle

Post by Jim Ed »

I want to get a side terminal post battery for my 1973 Beetle.

The stock dimensions are:
Battery Height: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Length: 242 mm - 9 1/2 in
Battery Width: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in

I would prefer that the (+) positive terminal post be on the left rear as positioned on the Beetle.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
TIA!
Marc

Re: I want a side terminal post battery for my 1973 Beetle

Post by Marc »

An Optima 75/25 fits, footprint-wise (6.82"x9.32"). They're a little taller than the standard Group 42 dual-terminal; leave the plastic cover on the top - maybe even throw a doormat over it - to make sure the seat springs never short out if you give a big friend a ride back there. The top posts come in handy should you ever need to hook up jumper cables, too. Not cheap (~$150+) but 620 or 720 CCA (a conventional Group 42 is typically 500 CCA at best).

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 25.jpg&f=1

Group 42s aren't commonly included in most battery lines these days. Interstate Battery still has them (in some models). They also sometimes have "blems" for sale that are cosmetically flawed (the case has been repaired on the top, for example). They have one of the highest core charges that I know of ($15 last time I checked) so you want to be sure to have a trade-in. Frequently they offer discounts on online purchases but the October one just expired and I don't know it there'll be another before spring.

And of course there are other non-VW batteries that will fit in the hole which may be carried at a good price at a local big-box store - just make sure that the height won't be an issue.

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm ....side-posts are the `70s numbers, all have the positive post on the left as you look at the terminal side of the battery.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can get screw in "normal" terminals for side post batteries as well, and use std cable ends and jumper cables.
Well worth the extra $5 IMHO, and they are reusable.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

I can get Group 42 batteries at Auto Zone and Firestone. Firestone has Interstate batteries. They are supposed to be really good. I might try Interstate next time I need a battery.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I'm running a deep cycle battery (for the 091 high draw starter to work) that come with both standard posts and GM style of posts. One of the big benefits of this is that I don't have to try to attach the trickle charger to the GM posts which don't seem to like the clamps to stay on them. I have the battery shutoff on the GM cable so I can charge w/o doing any disconnecting of cables. If necessary, I usually keep the plastic covers on the standard posts when not charging the battery. Makes it super easy and the best of both worlds.

Lee

Added the words "that come" tie clarify my post.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

I generally get the "reconditioned" batteries at a local battery retailer. They are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new battery from a box store. I've never had any issues with them either. My car has had a side post battery for decades now. I don't have a back seat either, so I have no worries about the posts shorting on the seat bottom.

As far as a particular battery size, either walk up to a rack of them and pick your size or go to a battery retailer and give them the dimensions. Then but the needed cables or cable-ends and there you go. I think I told them what car the battery was going into and then specified that it needed side terminals of the later style, and he looked in his book and brought me one out.