Needs some carb advice

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
84im

Needs some carb advice

Post by 84im »

I have the body off my newly purchased dune buggy, doing upgrades, and I'm thinking of replacing the old stock carb on my stock 1600 dual port engine.
The choices I've come up with so far are to replace it with a rebuilt carb from Volkzbitz, replace it with a set of dual singles, or replace it with a set 40 Webers from someone like John, at Aircooled.net, who can set up the carbs properly for my stock engine.
There is a good chance I will upgrade the engine sometime in the future to a 1776 or 1914, so I thought the 40 Webers might be a good choice, but can they be made to work well on a stock 1600 for the next year or two.

I'm also considering going with a Joe Blow supercharger. I started a thread on that here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149564
Marc

Re: Needs some carb advice

Post by Marc »

John at aircooled.net's not a fan of dual singles, but I like 'em on a mild motor. The "Kadron" (Solex 40/44EIS) are slightly too big for a stock 1600 IMO but will work, and are enough for a street 1775/1835/1915. The Weber 34ICTs are better IMO on a 1585/1641 (smoother, better mileage) but will hold you back on the larger displacements, while the Kads can be upsized to 44mm with throttle body & venturi changes if need be.

40IDFs aren't a bad plan though. EMPI seems to have worked most of the bugs out of their Chinese clones but if you choose to try those to save some bucks be aware that their 40s are made from the same castings as their 44s, so genuine Weber 40 venturii are too small on the O.D. to fit - you'd run `em with what they come with on the 1600, and use "small" 44 vents if you went to upsize them later.

EMPI also makes clones of the 34ICTs for much less than the genuine ones ("34EPC") and again they had a bad rep when they first hit the market but seem to be OK now - and they come with F6 or F7 emulsion tubes rather than the F78s that come in most ICT kits, a better choice for ACVW....just in case you want to use those for now and rethink things when it's time to build a bigger motor - you should always be able to peddle 'em for at least half of the new cost.
84im

Re: Needs some carb advice

Post by 84im »

Thanks Mark.