Seabeebuggys Bug build thread.

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
seabeebuggy

Seabeebuggys Bug build thread.

Post by seabeebuggy »

OK before I start its still snowing outside! A little about myself. When I was 15 my dad gave me ( sort of ) his 69 bug. He was the original owner We took it to TJ and got new interior. drove it until i joined the military. It has sat since then. 1989. It is rust free and in great condition. Has the 80's paint style on it. No engine as I gave it away. It has a transform trany that was a pro street close 3 and 4. cost like 1300.00 in 1987.... I'm going to say it is still good and the mileage was very low on it. The goal it to return it back to its glory days. new paint and leather interior, It needs to be rewired or re worked as it has had a few electrical issues. I have thought of swapping it over to an alternator and no staying with a generator. I need to start finding all the parts needed. I have kept the stock rims for years but may go centerline now. The engine is the major issue. either 2332 monster EFI Or turbo. I have a turbo engine already 2006 but not sure i want to go through the hassle of re tuning it to the new header system.

anyone know who make a good complete wire harness ?
seabeebuggy

Re: Seabeebuggys Bug build thread.

Post by seabeebuggy »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Nice!
Not often you see a real one-owner (effectively) rust free anything!

The 2009--what's the current setup?
Whatever you build will need tuned, so if you have an existing good motor, it gets you driving, ~now.
Have EFI? Budget? (short/long term)

Megasquirt & tuner studio can largely tune the warm up and VE tables itself, and plenty of help here and on the msextra forums. Mario is also a reseller and has his own custom MS2-module based ECU, alsong with all the std setups.

Wheels/brake/suspension plans? (pro-turbo, cal-look, german look, stock appearing sleeper etc)

Depending on how badly dorked the factory wiring is, consider something from Painless.
The OE wire/connectors were actually pretty sad quality.

Aircooled.net has a pretty good line of replacement harnesses and generally won't sell crap.
Also has a nice selection of nice ATO type fuseboxes to rid the system of the stock setup.

I have heard these guys recommended as well:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/wiring/wiring-kits-1
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 pm Nice!
Not often you see a real one-owner (effectively) rust free anything!

The 2009--what's the current setup?

the engine is a great engine I don't remember all the details any more. 1:1.4 rockers with oval ported and polished heads and intakes. 042 heads I think. TS20 cam, berg oil pump full flowed. unilite distributor with mallory hafire 6 ignition system. t4 turbo blow through duel 44 IDF, Alki injected and intercooler. But runs on 94 octane.

Whatever you build will need tuned, so if you have an existing good motor, it gets you driving, ~now.
Have EFI? Budget? (short/long term)
I have up to 7k for engine. I like to get the car complete this year. before Aug.

Megasquirt & tuner studio can largely tune the warm up and VE tables itself, and plenty of help here and on the msextra forums. Mario is also a reseller and has his own custom MS2-module based ECU, alsong with all the std setups.

Id love to go EFI.

Wheels/brake/suspension plans? (pro-turbo, cal-look, german look, stock appearing sleeper etc)
All new disc brakes all the way around. new wheels and tires , centerline or like style , i like to go sleeper, one or 2 colors, maybe pearl white or midnight blue and silver I am not sire about any of the styles except CAL.

Depending on how badly dorked the factory wiring is, consider something from Painless.
The OE wire/connectors were actually pretty sad quality.

Aircooled.net has a pretty good line of replacement harnesses and generally won't sell crap.
Also has a nice selection of nice ATO type fuseboxes to rid the system of the stock setup.

I have heard these guys recommended as well:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/wiring/wiring-kits-1
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Well i have Scat engine or a CBP engine about the same price. 7k 2k in car upgrades, 2k in new upholstery and 3k in paint.
Dam VW's are getting expensive.