Trunk Lid Stuck - How can I open it?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rrb6699

Trunk Lid Stuck - How can I open it?

Post by rrb6699 »

I opened my trunk lid today not suspecting any problems. When I went to closed it it was like it wasn't lined up properly. So I pushed the button to close it and it closed but the button stayed pushed in.

I cannot push the button in nor can I get the latch to release the trunk lid so I can open it. Any suggestions on what I need to do to open it? It would be hard to break into a bug trunk if you didn't want someone to do it using this method.

latch button wont pop back out.

thx
RR

1972 Restoration Project.
Marc

Re: Trunk Lid Stuck - How can I open it?

Post by Marc »

The button just actuates the secondary catch which ordinarily does not come into play until the primary "plunger" has been released. If it's stuck all the way in with the primary catch engaged it could be fouling things to the point that the primary catch is too taut to release; pushing down on the handle while someone else pulls the release lever may be enough to free it...tug a little from side to side while you're at it.
If the primary catch isn't releasing it's usually due to insufficient travel on the cable, and on `69-up Beetles that's usually because the glovebox is moving enough to reduce the cable travel. There's a foam block glued to the trunk floor under the LH side of the box that's supposed to provide support. Try using the fingertips of one hand against the "ceiling" of the glovebox to hold it up while you pull on the lever with the other - that often adds enough cable travel to release the catch.
The "official" procedure is to cut the handle into three sections and unwind the remains from the two m6 bolts which secure the plunger bracket to the hood, but one shouldn't need to resort to that unless the cable is broken (or the plastic sheath has shattered and telescoped, making the cable effectively too long).
If there's no spare tire in the well you can go in from underneath; remove the little round sheetmetal cover that's in the back of the well for shiftrod removal and manipulate the latch through it with a long prybar.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

its the latch. I shouldn't have closed it . the push button isnt springing back out. there is a spare tire. id hate to cut the original handle. id rather figure something else out.

the glovebox latch is ineffective because something must have broke on the handle. maybe I can force the pushbutton through? can always get a latch right?
RR

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

its the latch. I shouldn't have closed it . the push button isnt springing back out. there is a spare tire. id hate to cut the original handle. id rather figure something else out.

the glovebox latch is ineffective because something must have broke on the handle. maybe I can force the pushbutton through? can always get a latch right?
RR

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

see if you can grab the cable at the glove box with a pair of vise grips and give it a yank.
A cutoff wheel may still be in your future tho...

I remade my pull cable setup using a sheath from a looong generic speedo cable and some coated SS aircraft cable from hodepot.
The T3 release is mounted to a bracket on the dash tho, it looks similar to T1 but is a much better design as it isn't literally mounted in paper mache.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

funny you say that. I removed and fiberglassed my glovebox. its hard as a rock. I haven't a need to open the trunk yet. is there someone who could do some measurements for me so I can drill a hole in the exact spot(s) I need to flip the latch open somehow?

even if its involving drilling holes on both sides of the latch, fishing safety wire thru and pulling the latch hook somehow I can pull up and you can feel the hook catch. so the plunger is not engaged.

but, to do this I need someone with an open hood to tell me where to drill holes. symmetrical hopefully. I'm pretty sure with the right gauge safety wire I can feed it under the latch, push in from both sides, and push the latch out.

of course, someone will need to pull the hood up if this requires both hands but possibly not.

thx,
RR

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

update:
sorry didnt post. glovebox latch is ok. in this case what I described below did not come into play. I took a rebar same size as the button and a sledgehammer haha and decided I was going to break the latch or button or both by hammering it with a sledgehammer. well after a few firm taps then it came loose.

so I just couldn't push the button in far enough. I've since redone the latch by taking it off and putting it back on and I can get the catch to work now.. it turns out the framing for the latch was bent somehow. It was not snugly against the inside surface of the hood. Now that I fixed it the hook part of the latch is much further away from the plunger. I saw this before I close the hood and realized that it was that way before I got it stuck.

I put a Mexican Hood seal on the trunk lid last month I have not been able to close the trunk lid all the way down where the plunger takes effect. I was able to get the plunger to take effect once but it was so hard to reopen it that I just decided to let the catch hold the trunk lid for now.

I'm starting a different thread on some odd electrical problems I'm experiencing.
RR

micheal090

Post by micheal090 »

I cannot push the button too. Thanks to these posting, I find the way to fix it.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

read the "rebar" post
RR