Solex 34 pict 3 without ventury

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Shadyabinader

Solex 34 pict 3 without ventury

Post by Shadyabinader »

I was thinking of installing a single carburetor solex 34 pict 3 without a ventury tube on a 2 liter type 4 stock engine
has anyone tried this ?
what is the modification of the jets ?
does it work fine ?
Bruce2

Re: Solex 34 pict 3 without ventury

Post by Bruce2 »

Shadyabinader wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:31 am ..does it work fine ?
no
Shadyabinader

Post by Shadyabinader »

Any info of this issue i have seen on youtupe alot of videos how they make it work
Marc

Post by Marc »

Not really sure why this is in the Type 1 Forum. NO center-mounted carb on an ACVW is going to have tolerable driveability without manifold heat and appropriately-sized intake runners, small enough to maintain flow velocity - neither of which is present on a Type IV application.
Running a 34PICT-3 venturi-less will gain at best a couple of HP in the upper-RPM range; below that, both HP and torque will suffer. I'm hard-pressed to think of any real-world application where that would be considered advantageous.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you had one on each side it would work better, but just buy Kadrons in that case.
Much easier to get parts/tune.

The venturi-less setups were usually done to get around racing class restrictions, take them as a work around for that rather than as a performance recommendation. They weren't intended to be driven, just used at WOT and high RPM.

A Type4 likes a set of Webers, or port EFI, with the factory EFI manifolds and a modern programmable ECU it can rock.
The same is pretty much true of T1s as well.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.