Frozen brake shoe adjusters

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Brock36

Frozen brake shoe adjusters

Post by Brock36 »

I have been trying for a week to loosen the shoe adjusting screws on the front left wheel of my 73 Super.
I've drowned it in penetrating oil and banged at it with a chisel with no results.
Has anyone a suggestion?
Ubermaus

Re: Frozen brake shoe adjusters

Post by Ubermaus »

I had a stubborn adjuster on my old '72 Super. Ended up using a heat gun to warm it and 50/50 Acetone and ATF. Had to heat it up so the oil would get into the threads. Just be careful to avoid heating the brake line up.
"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it."
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-ch ... uck-bolts/

ubermaus's idea is in these 10 ways. Good 'put ubermaus! Too much heat is the only drawback so the heat gun is a good idea.
ainokea

Post by ainokea »

It's rusted in place and most likely it won't be easy to get out. A dull chisel and a heavy hammer to punch it out, then buy a new adjuster and anti seize before install
Marc

Post by Marc »

On some backing plates the bore goes all the way through so you can use a long drift from the opposite end, but I can't recall if that's true of Super fronts.
Brock36

Post by Brock36 »

Thanks guys. we've made some progress using a heat gun, rapping and penetrating oil I have got both adjusting screws to move but still can't get the star nuts to turn.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've always just used a blunt cape chisel to knock the stars out and hoped for the best (half the time they're destroyed in the process, but with dozens of spares around that never worried me).
If you can remove the screw, perhaps threading in a 10mm bolt or a head stud with a nut on the other end to drive against (or better yet, pull on with a slide hammer) should get the star out without damage.
I suppose it comes down to what your time is worth. It's not like new replacement stars aren't available.
113 609 205A
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Brock36 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:57 pm .. still can't get the star nuts to turn.
Your goal isn't to get it to turn, you need to get it out so you can sand the rust in the bore, and if the stars are good, sand the OD of the adjuster. Then slather it with anti-seize on assembly.
If you just free it up enough so it can be adjusted, by the next time you want to adjust your brakes it will be seized again.
Brock36

Post by Brock36 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got the stars separated from the backing plate by threading a 10M bolt through the star adjuster to the end and continuing until the star pulled out. All sanded and anti-seized and ready for new shoes,
Thanks again.