Vent Window Issue

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rrb6699

Vent Window Issue

Post by rrb6699 »

I opened my vent window and it all the sudden got way too loose and wont hold itself open. the only thing I can tell is the rivet is loose vs the passenger side window.

how do I fix that? I was thinking about putting a short metal screw in the rivet unless there's a special tool or can I use a rivet tool to recompress the rivet.

if that is a common problem.
RR

1972 Restoration Project.
risk

Re: Vent Window Issue

Post by risk »

The tension on the window is set by an M6 bolt that is under the door, not by the rivet. Remove the door panel and tighten the bolt until the vent window tension is to your liking.

EDIT: I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to.. maybe someone else will chime in.. Seems like there is a hole there that you can get a socket and extension thru to tighten the bolt.

There is a tool to replace the rivet and fiber washer, or you can make your own tool with a cheap pair of vise grips and a bb. I replaced mine when I did all the vent wing seals. The rivet and washer are available from Wolfsburg west I think.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

cool. thanks! I'll tighten both sides to close at 60mph. ;)
RR

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

well, the vent window cannot be tightened. (see pic)
looks like the metal bar itself broke free.
I guess no way but to replace it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RR