Zundfolge?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
ChrisK

Zundfolge?

Post by ChrisK »

Hey, for all you Germanophiles, what does "zundfolge" mean? I see it cast on most (all?) VW engines, and BMWs. (Don't laugh if my question turns out to be a silly one.) My ideas: it is a brand/company name or alloy (magnesium) name? Thanks.
Dung_Beetle

Zundfolge?

Post by Dung_Beetle »

are you talking about the gen pedestal? maybe it means fireing order.
Class 11 streeter

Zundfolge?

Post by Class 11 streeter »

High school German was a little while ago for me, but thanks to the internet, online German to English translators are avaliable. Image

"Zundfolge" is a compound word, very common in the German language. (I can't reproduce the umlauts above the "u" here)
Translated individually, "zund" means "ignition" and "folge" means roughly "in sequence", "series", or "succession".
So, the assumption that it refers to firing order by saying "ignition sequence" is completely correct.
ChrisK

Zundfolge?

Post by ChrisK »

Aha! You must be right...yup, I'm refering to the VW pedestal...also the BMW valvecovers. Thanks.
Glenn

Zundfolge?

Post by Glenn »

It means "order of ignition". Some of the "high quality" (joking) aftermarket stands translate it for us and say" firing order".

------------------
Glenn

74 Beetle Specs
74 Beetle Resto page
Piech

Re: Zundfolge?

Post by Piech »

Usually followed by a set of numbers corresponding to your cylinder firing order. Four for four-cylinder, etc.