Backfiring on a 1600 D/P with Kadrons.

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
58dave

Post by 58dave »

What Mr Kadron did help me out with was to verify that the idle mixture screws were working; you should be able to turn them in (clockwise) and get the engine to start to die. Then back them out slowly until you get maximum RPM. This is not the proceedure to used to syncronize the carbs though!
So what would you say is the problem if turning this screw makes no difference to the idle of the engine? As it is, it seems like I'm only running on two cylinders (pull the spark plug wire, no drop).

tia,
dave
bluedot

Re: Backfiring on a 1600 D/P with Kadrons.

Post by bluedot »

I put a set of dual kadrons on my 1600dp that kaddieshack setup. I've been struggling, hence why I'm here on this thread.

However, I am learning way more than I bargained for! If things are flaky with your mixture screws - it means you either have vacuum leaks, or too much fuel pressure. Or maybe both.

The "simplicity" of these carbs is also frustrating. All you really got is that idle mixture and an accelerator pump to tune with.

I put a gauge on my hard fuel line and 2psi made it flood. When it's set to "2" on it's regulator, it shows 0psi on the gauge! But that is what is working. Weird eh?

I had a hellofa time with the empi cast aluminum manifolds. I am using OG tin, and damned if I could get these manifolds to sit on the head correctly. I finally marked the manifolds with the gasket as a template, and sanded those b*tches down to where they fit right. I ended up using aircraft sealant on the cardboard gaskets, and finally got them to seal! (That was after a week of messing around with vacuum leaks)