fuel mixture too rich?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
westyman

fuel mixture too rich?

Post by westyman »

I own a '66 Beetle. Runs great but I have a problem. 1300cc engine, new points, new plugs, timing set statically, valves adjusted, oil changed -- when I pulled the spark plugs, all were black. When the car is running, exhaust is rich. Someone suggested that float needle in carb. is stuck or needs adjustment.
I don't think that's the case, the carb. has recently been rebuilt.
Someone else suggested that the fuel pressure was too high. It does appear that the previous owner put on a new fuel pump. I read somewhere that you could adjust the output of the fuel pump with spacers.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences?
Thanks.
Marc

fuel mixture too rich?

Post by Marc »

Unbolt the pump and measure the maximum height attained by the pushrod above the flange gasket as you rotate the crankshaft. If it exceeds 13mm add gaskets to reduce it. This is rarely necessary; it's more likely that the float valve is leaking or the level is set too high (a thicker washer between the valve and carb top will reduce it), the jetting is wrong, or the choke isn't shutting off properly. What model carburetor is it?
The angled-head pumps intended for fuel-injection engines require a shorter pushrod (100mm vs 108mm) - if you have one of those and a long pushrod, fuel pressure will be extreme (while it lasts).