Got my ej20t

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
turboedbug

Got my ej20t......and it runs

Post by turboedbug »

Well it starts up :D.I dont have the cooling system done so it only ran for a few seconds. Now its time to start running the coolant lines.
turboedbug

Re: Got my ej20t

Post by turboedbug »

heres a vid of it running, its pretty loud just to warn ya. Its running realy rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MCy-AUrUw
59Bisquik

Post by 59Bisquik »

Wow! Looks good, you will sure enjoy driving it! I was expecting much louder though. Mine is much louder and raspier :mrgreen:

For my breathers, I originally tied all three into a single can with a filter on top. Very similar to the VW style. However, the looks were not the best and it cluttered up the engine. I then went to small pod filters on the valve covers and reinstalled the PCV on the bottom of the manifold and hooked the block breather back up to it. Also, since you havent run your coolant lines yet, if you switch to a 2.5 water pump (bolt on) the water neck can be pointed straight out of the back of the car or straight forward between the pan and the exhaust. (The pump exits straight down) It was only about $50 at autozone. All I had to do was remove the line for the heater hose, I just tapped it and added a pipe plug. For info, you blocked off the EGR sustem with a plate. I removed mine too, I just cut it off and welded it all shut. With the Outfront J-tube intake, it was in the way. (Excuse the dirty car, it just came back from Dumont!)
A pic while the manifold was under construction
This one you can see the 2.5 water pump.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

The car is way quieter now. I had 2 coils switched up. so that screwed up the firing order. Thanks for the tip about the 2.5 water pump. I might just do that soon, my water pump is leaking a little bit so looks like a new water pump is in order.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Can we get an update?

Did you get it to run the way you wanted and did you put it on a dyno and tune it?
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Big Dave wrote:Can we get an update?

Did you get it to run the way you wanted and did you put it on a dyno and tune it?

Man I wish I had a good update, would love to have tossed it onto the dyno. But I have been pretty busy lately.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

well here is the long and awated update........and its still not road worthy, but close :D I still have a few things to square away. I need to finish up the blinkers and lights, support all the jerry rigged (no offence jerry) coolant plumbing. support my intercooler and a few other minor things. Today went horrible while trying to knock the other stuff out. everything I encountered I either didnt have the parts or there was fitment issues. :evil: verry crappy, turned into many trips to the autoparts store. On a good note I did buy a new milwaukee portable bandsaw so I guess everything wasnt all bad. well hopefully I will have this thing ready to hit the dyno and get some tuning done up here in the next few weeks. well at least thats the plan.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

alright heres an update, the issues I have been having I think I might have it figured out. The tune I have is for a different engine. still a subaru though. The injectors is where the difference is they are HUGE!!! so whats happening is they are tossing in the fuel & on top of that the ecu I have comes pre tuned for cold weather and at 50 degrees F it tosses in 50% extra fuel on top of those huge injectors.Totaly killing spark plugs. So I removed the cold weather tuning and tossed in new plugs and WOW this thing is FAST!!! Still needs alot of tuning done but wow I only hit 5 lbs of boost!!!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

got it tuned a bit, its freeking fast. hitting 10 lbs of boost. I need to upgrade the clutch. its currently a stage 1 with a stock disc, it slips a little and I get bad clutch chatter on trying to start fast. Need to figure out something for a different intercooler. an air to air isnt efficient on the rear end of a car. So I am going to use a air to water intercooler instead. I am not sure how I am going to go about it or what I am going to use at the moment. I also need to do a little work for my cooling system. its not getting sufficient air to cool at highway speeds. I think a little lip in front of the radiator would help push in some air.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Sorry no updates. But i am getting the ball rolling again. New clutch disk is on the way, air/water intercooler is in the works. And i am finaly getting tuning done ;)
Turbo!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Well heres a little bit on what i have going on( quite a bit if u compare it to how much i have done in a year lol) things are not finished as a few parts didnt show and didnt fit correctly buthere iis. My air to water intercooler. It only sits past the firewall 3" Image
Turbo!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Not much of an update, but at least its something. Intercooler is mounted. Now I need to mount up the radiators and pump amd plumb that crap up :-)

Turbo!
Master slacker

Post by Master slacker »

What happened to your air filter? Damn!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Lol it was a quick fix at the time. Had one laying around. made it work
Turbo!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Pulling the motor to fix a bunch of stuff i half a$$ed. Like wiring , fuel lines

Smoked the stock clutch disk with a stage 1 plate after about 200 miles lol. Gonna try a black magic disk (i think thats what its called)

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!