1303 subaru 4x4

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ttriebler

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by ttriebler »

petew wrote:looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
I weighed all the bits that get added to make the 4wd conversion. It adds 50kg to the front of the car.

The centre diff torque bias is actually 50/50 in a lot of subarus, the earlier liberty turbos particularly. The whole issue of front/rear torque bias is irrelevant imho even if its 60 front/40 rear as thats how most modern fwd based 4wd systems work - primarily fwd with some power to the rear. And the beauty of the Subaru system is it always sends power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. If the front wheels spin the power shifts to the rear.

Anyway, the proof will be in the driving.....
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Imagine the possibilities this opens up... I think it would be cool on a Cal Look street bug to have all wheel drive, but I would want big tires in the rear and small in the front, one of the diff gear ratios would have to change to compensate for different tire sizes. Of course on an off road car, tires are typically the same size and it's not that critical. I'm just dreaming out loud...
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Some inspiration, 4WD rallycross bug. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmJ5BgKFYo
petew

Post by petew »

ttriebler wrote:
petew wrote:looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
I weighed all the bits that get added to make the 4wd conversion. It adds 50kg to the front of the car.

The centre diff torque bias is actually 50/50 in a lot of subarus, the earlier liberty turbos particularly. The whole issue of front/rear torque bias is irrelevant imho even if its 60 front/40 rear as thats how most modern fwd based 4wd systems work - primarily fwd with some power to the rear. And the beauty of the Subaru system is it always sends power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. If the front wheels spin the power shifts to the rear.

Anyway, the proof will be in the driving.....
:wink:
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

surfbeetle wrote:I would want big tires in the rear and small in the front, one of the diff gear ratios would have to change to compensate for different tire sizes.
Why go to all that work for different size tires? Seems to me you'd be losing some of the advantage to AWD by decreasing traction up front with a smaller contact patch. Just thinking out loud...

Kyle
petew

Post by petew »

^ what he said.

besides, I think you'll find it a nightmare getting it right ratio wise. and get it wrong and it increases the wear on the center diff.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

Just what I need more ideas... :D

This set up would be awesome in a Baja. Or better, a race Baja... (No, bad Qurtyslyn... No more ideas.)
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Once my subi street bug is done, I plan to do a Manx, already have an IRS pan and a line on a body... I will have to look at the options for AWD, but of course to be difficult, my pan is also ball joint.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

surfbeetle wrote:Once my subi street bug is done, I plan to do a Manx, already have an IRS pan and a line on a body... I will have to look at the options for AWD, but of course to be difficult, my pan is also ball joint.
My pan is also ball joint. I did some tricky machining and modifications to make it work. It does change the spacing of the upper and lower front control arms so they are a little wider apart (like the formula v's do) which of course affects the caster angle of the front. We will see what it's like once it's on the road.
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

Flat4parts Are the rear Uniballs available for 944t rear arms?
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Any update on this?
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

Anyone know if Flat4Parts is still alive?

Thanks
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Dunno....Subarugears is still alive though. But no time to work on the 4WD Manx. Too many transmissions to do for customers.
F4P

Post by F4P »

hello the project is alive.. sorry no pic's for the moment i'm working on the front arms... ;)

i recived my bilstein so i'm waiting for other cnc part's
home made the better way to win
www.flat4parts.com
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

Wow! This is some really neat stuff coming together!