EJ20G into 67 Bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
surfbeetle

Re: EJ20G into 67 Bug

Post by surfbeetle »

Thanks Jeff. I bought one of those bubble and magnetic camber gauges from Amazon as well as a 36 mm wrench. I'll get it adjusted one way or another. I suppose I could have used channel locks but I didn't think that far.
Craig
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Got out there today and changed the spark plugs and also messed around with the front end. I’m having an issue with the air ride beam going up and down. I got this beam for free from a friend. It’s just a 2” narrowed beam with thru rods and air shocks. I thought there was a problem with the shocks that were on it so I changed out the shocks with a pair I bought new a few years back from Airkweld. Still no change, the beam doesn’t want to raise up on the drivers side when aired up to 100psi from my shop compressor. I need to bite the bullet and just get a new Airkweld beam and be done with it.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

How is the movement of the trailing arms with no shocks? Trailing arms binding in the beam bushings? I've read especially the urethane bushings have to be "reamed" to get the right fit on the T-arms. Not exactly sure how you'd ream these though, maybe some kind of stiff sanding flap wheels run inside them (like a hone)? I gather there are no "springs" left on the front end with this type of set-up, that is left up to the shocks used (air shocks or coil-overs).
Jeff
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Yeah something obviously is binding along with the wheels hitting the fenders if I drop it all way. I really need a 4” narrowed beam so instead of messing with this one, I’m gonna contact Airkweld and get a beam. Since I have the shocks, spindles and brakes already, the cost shouldn’t be too bad.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Yeah something obviously is binding along with the wheels hitting the fenders if I drop it all way. I really need a 4” narrowed beam so instead of messing with this one, I’m gonna contact Airkweld and get a beam. Since I have the shocks, spindles and brakes already, the cost shouldn’t be too bad.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Wow, just noticed that the previous two posts are duplicates. What the heck? Oh well... We sold our house and we're moving to another more rural part of town so as a result I've been packing up the garage. Ugh, what a nightmare to pack up 15 years of crap in the garage. On a positive note, I drove the bug up to the gas station the other day and filled it up for the first time in 16+ years. I plan to drive the car to the new house, it's about 11 miles. Once we're moved in and settled, I will get the Airkweld beam and then get the engine finally tuned on a dyno.

Post by turboedbug »

16 years sounds about where i am with mine lol

Cant wait to see the new beam installed!
Turbo!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Yeah it’s been a long time coming. I stopped driving it years ago when the engine dropped a valve seat on #3. We bought a diesel Suburban instead of fixing the bug, the growing family took priority as it should. I’m finally at a point where after “eating the elephant one bite at a time” the car is getting drivable.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Last week I drove the car 11 miles from our old home to our new house, it drove pretty well. I found that the boost control is not properly set, the car pulled hard but the blow off would occur way too soon. The boost is set for 7psi. It will be a while before I can work on it. I had parked the car in the garage and when the movers moved us on Saturday, instead of unloading a bunch of stuff into a shed that's on the property, they put all that crap in the garage around the car, I was at the old house making sure we got everything. So I'm not too happy about that since now I have to move that crap 150 uphill to the storage shed.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

This past weekend, I tried adjusting some settings in the ecu for the boost controller. I set the boost pressure to 11 from 7 and raised the wastegate RPM to 4800 from 3300. The car pulls VERY hard in first gear and then falls flat on it's face in the rest. My plan a few months back was to go to a tuner recommended on the Subaru Powered Volkswagen Facebook group that was local to me but have since found out that they have moved just over an hour away from me in Riverside county. So now I'm looking for a tuner in the greater San Diego County (California) area, prefer more east county. I have the tuning software installed and communicating with the ecu from my laptop. Just need a dyno and someone who knows how to tune a subaru ej20 turbo. If I was going to consider trailering the car an hour away, I'd just go ahead and take it to Outfront Motorsports in Anaheim but I was hoping to find a local shop to start a rapport with.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Today, I towed the car up to Outfront Motorsports. Let me just say that even if you're not in Southern California like I am, it's well worth the drive to have John tune the car. It took me 2 1/2 hours to drive up there and much longer to get back because of the afternoon commute. The max horsepower that we saw was 174 at the wheels, which John said translates to over 230 flywheel hp when we were using the Grimmspeed boost controller that I had installed. What I did not know is that my year of engine and turbo was designed to just use the spring and be controlled manually. Because my engine is bone stock, I felt it would be better for longevity's sake to just use it as designed and we set it to not use the boost controller and use the mechanical spring on the wastegate. With that said, rear wheel hp is now 152.

Before I can really drive it, I need to put a fan on my intercooler. Also, while we were doing the dyno runs, we experienced a fuel delivery problem because the air coming out of the radiator heated up the fuel tank to the point where I could not put my hand on the top of the tank. I need to figure out a way to keep the hot air from boiling my gas. Also, my fuel pump is WAY TOO LOUD. All caps because you pretty much have to yell when it's on. I'm open to ideas for the tank insulation as well a fuel pump. My pump is a tank that came from Summit or Jegs, I can't remember it's been too long. Either way, it was the generic brand. Are Walbro's that loud?

Here's a pic of the dyno results.
panel

Post by panel »

I thought those motors stock came with more than that HP at the wheel ? But I guess 230 at the flywheel is where the specs mostly come from.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

John at Outfront said that he rates an engine like mine at 220 but that my engine was in great shape because of the power it was making. I'm thinking not bad for a $700 engine.

Post by turboedbug »

awesome man good stuff.

any videos of an on ramp pull on the highway hahahaha

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

turboedbug wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:04 am awesome man good stuff.

any videos of an on ramp pull on the highway hahahaha

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
At some point I will. I want to resolve the heat issues on the fuel tank as well as a fan on the intercooler before I get a video. I'm out in the boonies, several miles from an onramp...