EJ20G into 67 Bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Piledriver

Re: EJ20G into 67 Bug

Post by Piledriver »

GS guy wrote:Thanks Surf. I guess I'm most interested in how the beam and through rods "holds" the trailing arms in position? What controls the in and out motion of the T-arms? Also, what parts rotate against each other and how is that handled (lubrication points? thrust bearings?).
The off road/buggy folk do it all the time due to the light front ends, easier to get a usable spring rate with coils.
... from memory most just use some all thread and maybe thrust washers to keep things together, some even a thrust bearing on one or both ends. Sometimes its just done on the upper arms, the lower bars handling the spring duty.

I considered doing that on my T3 but I did it a little different, the indexable torsion bars are all installed ~ at ride height and add quite a bit of anti roll/dive/squat effect, ~2X stock spring rate. (~1.7/1.8hz tuned) the coil overs carry most of the weight, but the bars contribute to spring rate going up (and take away rate extended past ride height)
I installed an early t3 front sway bar so it didn't understeer badly.
(T3 sway bar goes between the upper arms through the beam, the springs on a t3 front are only the lower bars, those go all the way across and actually cross each other at a slight offset/angle)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Anyone seen one of these fire suppression units? http://jogrusa.com/products/blazecut-fi ... ion-system They are simply a tube in the engine compartment. When the temperature in the protected enclosure rises to a critical threshold, (sustained temp of 120*C or 248*F) the detection tube melts down at the point where the affecting temperature is the highest. So my question is this, what are the temps I should expect to have around my intercooler? I'd had to get one of these and find the intercooler gets above 248*F and I have that tube close by.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

No comments on the fire suppression? Oh well. I was looking at the front beam that I need to get on the car. Jeff (GS Guy) was asking about the beam so I have uploaded some pics here. One thing to notice, on the beam on the upper top shock mount, there's a square patch of metal that looks like it relocates the hole so that the shock won't hit the arms. For comparison, I included a couple of pics of the beam that's on the car with no patch. Also you can see how the nuts are at the end of the through rods. I'm going to have to change out the ball joints on this one so I'll have to pull the arms off and have them pressed in/out.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I would hope you never see anywhere near that temp inside or outside your intercooler unless there is an actual fire.
Those are typically used to fire automatic suppression systems/shut things down hard.

I'm not sure what intercooler you plan on running, but I cannot forsee anything getting that hot unless it's right under the engine or on the exhaust.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

I was asking the temp because my only other experience with a turbo and intercooler is on my Ram Diesels, there the exhaust temps can get into the 1300 degree range and be considered safe. Today, I went back through this entire thread and re uploaded the photos that were lost in the forum upgrades. I wonder if there's a way to download my entire thread so I can save it on my computer.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The exhaust gasses don't see the intercooler.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm The exhaust gasses don't see the intercooler.
This I knew, but given the close proximity of the intercooler to the turbo, I was concerned about the heat transferring.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I have a Blaze Cut installed on my Syncro and have one on the shelf to install on my Grandparents Westy I hope to never test out their effectiveness but after my parents blew a coolant line with a packed van something that can act without us needing to get into the engine compartment was worth some piece of mind. we have had a Bug burn twice so we are aware of the issues of VW engines catching fire so I would make sure to use new Rubber fuel lines on your install.

Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

ajdenette wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 pm I have a Blaze Cut installed on my Syncro and have one on the shelf to install on my Grandparents Westy I hope to never test out their effectiveness but after my parents blew a coolant line with a packed van something that can act without us needing to get into the engine compartment was worth some piece of mind. we have had a Bug burn twice so we are aware of the issues of VW engines catching fire so I would make sure to use new Rubber fuel lines on your install.
Thank you for your reply. This is definitely on my to do list.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Last weekend, one of my daughters and I went to the Bob Baker VW show in Carlsbad. SD Aircooled was there and they had several BlazeCuts on display/for sale/raffle. The show was cool. Yesterday, I got out into the garage and pulled the front beam out of the car. I swapped the arms off into the air ride beam I was given. I don't have a press so I figured that this method was easier than having to get new ball joints and press them in. My beam had new ball joints in it already. I'll say this, I hate raising up and installing the beam into the car by myself. I used a tool made out of pipes shaped kind of like an old style Football goal post to raise the beam using my floor jack. I still have to connect up the tie rods and figure out the air ride. I bought a couple of air valves that can connect to the air shock hoses to air up the shocks. I'll do this until I figure out tank and pump placement.
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Hey surf glad to see ya moving along and doing well with the bug been many years

Great job bro
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

itawolf wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:55 pm Hey surf glad to see ya moving along and doing well with the bug been many years

Great job bro
Thank you. Right now, I have the front suspension disassembled, I have been too busy with life to finish it up. I was in the garage for several hours yesterday building a school project with my youngest daughter. Funny how project assignments for the kids always turn out to be homework for the parents.
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

surfbeetle wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm
itawolf wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:55 pm Hey surf glad to see ya moving along and doing well with the bug been many years

Great job bro
Thank you. Right now, I have the front suspension disassembled, I have been too busy with life to finish it up. I was in the garage for several hours yesterday building a school project with my youngest daughter. Funny how project assignments for the kids always turn out to be homework for the parents.
you know it
I'm in same boat being full cust dad ---ballpark--school events--you name it
plus my own house projects---need a honey to pay me back lol
Lots of iron in the fire
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Here's a long overdue update. After having the tube from the intercooler to the throttle body installed, I found that the rear cover I had made for the parcel tray would not fit so I have had to modify it. I'm not done yet and I'll post pics once I finish. I finally trashed my cheap Harbor Freight welding helmet and stepped up to a Lincoln helmet. I'm told that my welding should improve because I'll actually be able to see what I'm doing.

Also, I was able to score some Kwik Lift ramps for my garage. http://www.kwik-lift.com . Here's some shots of my Challenger up on the ramps. I now have the VW up on it. The way it works is you use your floor jack under the rear cross bar to lift them and then set the supports. Puts the car up about 24 inches and I can roll under the car on my creeper. With this, I was able to lower the airbeam on the bug all the way down and still get under the car to make sure the shocks were clearing the suspension arms.
Ramps1.jpg

ChallengerRamp1.jpg

RearChallRamp1.jpg

In order to get my VW up on the ramps, I had to finish installing the front end that I started swapping out a while back. It's a 2 inch narrowed beam with air shocks and thru rods. When airing it up with my shop compressor, it seems to bind, I'm not too happy with it. When all the way down, the tires are hitting the fenders on the outer edge. I am seriously considering just getting a 4 inch narrowed Airkewld beam.

At this point, I think I'm going to finish up the engine cover in the parcel shelf and then take the car in to get tuned then figure out the beam. I may just set my ride height for now and get it aligned. Drive it for a bit and then get the new beam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Ok pics of bug
And love the ramp

What air shocks?
Lots of iron in the fire