EJ20G into 67 Bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
surfbeetle

Re: EJ20G into 67 Bug

Post by surfbeetle »

It's smoking, like burning oil like crazy. I'm hoping I don't need new rings/rebuild and the smoke clears up after a bit
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

surfbeetle wrote:It's smoking, like burning oil like crazy. I'm hoping I don't need new rings/rebuild and the smoke clears up after a bit
Hopefully it's something easier than that. I'd check and clean the PCV valve first. Next suspect would be the turbo seals. Then a compression leak down test should tell you the condition of your rings and valves.
Having said that, the last time my engine smoked it was coolant from a bad head gasket...
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

It smells more like oil burning rather than coolant. I only have distilled water, no coolant in the cooling system right now. There are a few things not connected so I need to get them all taken care of. Also, if I remember correctly, I don't think I have the PCV connected right now. I think it went away with the Idle Air Control since I'm using an aftermarket Link ECU. After removing the injectors last week, I just let the car sit with rags in the injector holes. Since it was out of fuel when I went to restart it this weekend, I wonder if all of the remaining fuel didn't just drain into engine. Either way I bought another four quarts of oil to drain and replace. Here's the first start video. Since I was working the throttle, turning the key and attempting to hold the phone, this is actually video my wife took when she heard all of the commotion I was making in the garage.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Cough cough - man I was coughing just watching that vid! Might just be leftover oil, etc in the cylinders burning off? I'd get some ventilation in there for the next start-up! Your wife sounds a bit like mine in how long it takes me to complete a project... :-)
Jeff
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Yeah, the garage doors were open but the two large fans I have in the garage were off. I'm going to get the exhaust done before I fire it up again. Before I do that, I'm going to fab up my engine mount. Anyone know what the size/type is for the stock subaru studs that come out of the factory rubber motor mounts?
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

I went to Pep Boys auto parts and got a 3 inch to 2.75 inch silicone hose to connect the intercooler to the throttle body. I needed two, they only had one. I found a matching one on Amazon. I got that all connected. Also got a couple of two inch diameter connecter pipes for the inlet of the intercooler and the turbo. I now need to connect those two up. Also got some 7/64" vacuum hose for the boost gauge and the Link ECU. I have a hose going from the base of the throttle body to the intake manifold. I don't think that this hose is supposed to be there, anyone know? I hope not so I can use both of these for the two hoses I need to run. It's Mother's day so Happy Mother's day! No work will get done on the car today!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

A long while ago, I had decided that I wanted to use my Empi generic dual quiet packs on the back of the bug. It will hide the view of the Subaru engine from the rear. As I'm now closer to taking the car in to an exhaust shop to bend up the pipes, I got to thinking that the diameter of the Empi quiet packs at the flange is probably too small for a EJ20 turbo. What size should the pipe diameter be for the pipe from the stock turbo flange to the dual quiet pack flange? What I'm after is something like this photo. I mocked it up in Photoshop, the only pic I could find was a single muffler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

A stock WRX will be 2.5" at the downpipe and reduce to 2.25" at the exhaust. I'd keep that diameter as large as possible to support future mods...2.5" flange to flange is a safe bet though.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

dlamyle wrote:A stock WRX will be 2.5" at the downpipe and reduce to 2.25" at the exhaust. I'd keep that diameter as large as possible to support future mods...2.5" flange to flange is a safe bet though.
Thank you! I'll do that.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Same here Surf - kept mine 2.5" from turbo through muffler. That should be plenty for near stock HP levels. For dual mufflers, you could probably get away with stepping down at the split to something like 2" or maybe 1.75"? 2x the area of a 1.75" dia is just a hair under the area of a single 2.5" dia. 2" might be easier to find mufflers for.
Jeff
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Thanks Jeff, that also makes perfect sense as I would really like to find smaller mufflers so I'm not constantly dragging them. I still to re-index my splines on the rear suspension and that will lower it slightly so space is at a premium.
Craig
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Surf - the last Bug I had always dragged the single QP. I was re-painting it on a nearly weekly basis and vowed "never again"!
I like the looks of the "hide-a-way" style muffler, tucked up next to the valve cover. You could do duals like that too (both sides), maybe even use the mufflers that have inlet/outlet on the same end (Magnaflow)? You could even rig these up with a rear cross-over connecting the muffler outlets and have 2 exits (or single Boxter style) out the OEM locations. Real sleeper look!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

The thing I didn't like about the hideaways was that I had seen some cars where they hit the fender and made a dent causing the fender to have a bubble or spider crack and since I'm lazy, I think that would make changing spark plugs harder.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Hmmm... so you build it so it doesn't hit? :-)
Spark plugs - some V-band flanges takes care of that - for when you need to change them after, oh, 50k miles or 5 years - whichever comes first!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Definitely some ideas to consider. Here in San Diego, we have an exhaust shop, Hansen's Exhaust, that is highly regarded. They have done a ton of custom work on hot rods and muscle cars. I plan to have them create my exhaust so I'll definitely run some ideas by them to see what we can come up with. It was one of my friends that originally came up with the bug exhaust that exited in front of the rear tires. He took the car to the VW Jamboree show and after that there were many copy cats...