EJ20G into 67 Bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Mooosman

Re: EJ20G into 67 Bug

Post by Mooosman »

The large line from the idle air control valve is supposed to connect to the intake snorkel (plastic) AFTER the MAF sensor. When I modified my intake snorkel, I epoxied a large plastic barb fitting into it to connect the hose to.

I like your heater setup, that's exactly how I'm going to run mine eventually. Not much use for a heater here in Vegas right now, though! :shock:
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Turboed, thanks for the info on the wastegate and bov. Mooosman, thanks for the IAC hose info. I haven't decided what I am doing for the intake and air filter yet. I may just make one out of some pipe and use a cone filter of some sort. I have to get exhaust tubing to weld up and connect to the quiet packs so maybe a piece of that would work for the intake.

I'm there with you on the heater, it's averaging 95 to 100 here in So Cal, obviously not as hot as Vegas but still no need for heat. There's a member here and on Aussies named Joel that has A/C in his suby super beetle, I want to do that after I have it running.
Last edited by surfbeetle on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Yeah that heater is killer.....I have been wondering what I am going to do about that.....now I know.
Turbo!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

The best part is that the coolant hose size is the same for the suby motor as it is on the heater so all I need to do is get enough hose to connect them up.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

surfbeetle wrote:I'm there with you on the heater, it's averaging 95 to 100 here in So Cal, obviously not as hot as Vegas but still no need for heat. There's a member here and on Aussies named Joel that has A/C in his suby super beetle, I want to do that after I have it running.
Ha, the irony of that is its sitting over in the shed not being used much at the moment as it;s middle of winter here and still havent hooked my heater up yet.

Your mystery sensor and grey plug on the previous page is the knock sensor too.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Thanks Joel on the knock sensor. I saw your youtube on the wiper blades, that's a great tip for upgrading them.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Gauges:
What are you guys using for Water temperature gauges? I have VDO gauges and wanted to get one to match. What sender do I use? My Link ECU uses the stock subaru water sender so I don't think I should change that. Is there a way to tap that wire for a separate water temp gauge?

Also, I have an oil temp gauge that used the VW oil pressure galley cover sending unit. Is there a subaru spot (with different sender of course) that I could use for oil temp?

thanks
Mooosman

Post by Mooosman »

surfbeetle wrote:Gauges:
What are you guys using for Water temperature gauges?

I'm using a cheap Equus electric water temp gauge, which is available at all of the chain stores (AutoZone, Checker, Pep Boys, etc.). It works fine, but reads about 15 degrees higher than actual water temp. It really gave me a scare when the temp kept reading 220+ before the computer kicked the fan on, but then I checked the actual water temp coming out of the engine by sticking a meat thermometer into the header tank filler while the engine was warming up. Sure enough, the gauge reads a consistent 15 degrees high. :roll:

I have heard from many other people that electric gauges tend to read on the high side. After you install yours, you should verify its true reading with a thermometer. :wink:

Nick
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Thank you Nick, I will check out the water temp guages at auto zone and verify the temps.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Here's some good info I found over on VWKD.

http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

"The Subaru water temperature has a an unusual 1/8 BSPT thread.

VDO uses 1/8 NPT"

I'm assuming that the oil sender is the same way. With that one, I am hoping to find a right angle adapter that has male 1/8 BSPT and female 1/8 NPT so my VDO combo sensor for my oil pressure gauge and the stock VW idiot light can be wired up.

I also have a VDO temp gauge I used for oil temp, I wonder if I could use that for water temp if I changed the VDO sender to the water temp.

If I go with a separate water temp gauge, I may also want to also reuse the oil temp. Just need to figure out the best way to tap into the oil for a temp sender.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

I had an oil temp in mine, i drilled and tapped the drain plug, it never got over 90c unless i pushed the car hard.
I ended up removing it only cos i had to many gauges in my car.
Water temp keeps good tabs on what's going on.

Like Mooosman said check the calibration, i always check mine in boiling water.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

lol Joel!! i still get the kicks on the one legged duck!!!

keep the info coming Surf!!!
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Got an email from Fine Line Imports, I should have my ECU back next week.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Cool.....bet your excited
Turbo!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

ECU came in today, but they forgot the ComLink Adapter and the USB adapter and com cable. I sent off an email but figure it will be sometime next week before I get that stuff back. I can't do a darn thing without them. There's always something, isn't there?