DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
merlin048

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Post by merlin048 »

Your coverage of installation is excellent. All I am worried about is the wiring looks like a professional nightmare. Is it as bad as it looks?
I built a 1974 karman ghia 2180. I was good but needed another 100 HP.
WalterS

Post by WalterS »

Hi,
Im new to this forum. I really liked Tim's contribution and had to join. I just completed my conversion and the EJ20 seem not to start but cranks. I need a troubleshooting procedure since i wired the ECU following Tim's posts. Any help where to start?
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

WalterS wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:56 am Hi,
Im new to this forum. I really liked Tim's contribution and had to join. I just completed my conversion and the EJ20 seem not to start but cranks. I need a troubleshooting procedure since i wired the ECU following Tim's posts. Any help where to start?
First I suggest creating your own thread so you can put in all of your details, is the engine new, used, JDM, etc. With that said, you need to start basic troubleshooting. Fuel, air, spark? The ecu will handle the spark assuming that it's wired properly, but you should pull your spark plugs to check them. You can pull a plug and see if there's a spark when cranking. Be careful when doing this. Air is a given, so the next is the fuel. I had the same issue, it would crank but not start. I pulled the injectors and soaked them in fuel injector cleaner for a week. The car started after reinstalling. You may also need to check your fuel pressure.

Post by WalterS »

Thank you for the info Surfbeetle. I will do that and hopefully will get going.
Thesatelliteguy

Post by Thesatelliteguy »

Tim! I found you again! Ive taken a pretty long hiatus from that VW but Im ready to get back into it. The poor car has been sitting for about 2 years now.About a week ago I got a starter adapter from westy adventures and a starter out of a 1996 jetta TDI, put a new battery in it and started to "revive" the thing.
It still has a code for idle air control valve, which i havent a clue about. The throttle response is iffy, too much and it just falls on its face. And a knock sensor code, which i do know about. That motor is knocking bad!! I dont really know how to diagnose it with out taking the engine apart. Any ideas?
Also, another thing i absolutely dont know about and makes me laugh. The computer started smoking yesterday on a test drive. lol I was cruising along and came to a stop. the engine dies. i hit the starter and its acting like it doesnt have the power to turn it over. Then i hear this sizzel and i look back and smoke is bellowing out of the computer. I disconnect the battery, get out of the car, pout for a second, contemplate what to do, get back in the car and hit the starter. The thing turns over and fires up just fine and i drive home, the motor seeming to run better then before. Hahah, i dont know what to do about that one...
Any way, im sure ill be bugging you on here in the near future.
Shimmertron

Post by Shimmertron »

Hi
This is an awesome reference...any chance the photos could be added again? I bought a subaru beetle project that was midway through, so all I have to work from is a rats nest of wires. Looks like most of the photos have been archived.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Hey Shimmertron,
I don't know all of the details but the links to a lot of the images on the site broke when sites like photobucket started charging for use.
I'll have to dig but i think i might have printed a lot of the first few pages(for wiring reference) of this thread and if so i can scan and send them to you.

update: found most of it. PM me your email and i'll send it to you, hopefully it helps, i know how frustrating it is, in fact i gave up and let someone else do it for me so i could concentrate on the parts i knew how to handle. My wiring didn't match most diagrams and was no where near what Tim had.
Shimmertron

Post by Shimmertron »

Great! I sent you a message.
Shimmertron

Post by Shimmertron »

For anyone else hoping to see the original pictures from page 1, Joel in his wisdom created a pdf before the images disappeared into the abyss. I have uploaded it to my Google account and shared it. Here it is:
Forrest49891

Post by Forrest49891 »

Shimmertron wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 pm For anyone else hoping to see the original pictures from page 1, Joel in his wisdom created a pdf before the images disappeared into the abyss. I have uploaded it to my Google account and shared it. Here it is:
This community is awesome!!!

Made an account on here just to thank Shimmertron for this link and Joel for making the pdf. I have been wiring my harness for my 72 super with a 98 legacy ej22 and completed it all but couldn't for the life of me figure out the powering.

Here is a pin-out I have found on the dark web (Credit to owner Travis Quiller wherever he may be): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2-Jw ... lQwcnM2Yzg

Hopefully I will be able to figure the rest out now with these images, I will be sure to stop back here if I have any questions!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

TimS

Post by TimS »

Shimmertron wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 pm For anyone else hoping to see the original pictures from page 1, Joel in his wisdom created a pdf before the images disappeared into the abyss. I have uploaded it to my Google account and shared it. Here it is:
Thanks. I needed that.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Johndl58

Post by Johndl58 »

Hey everyone. I’m just starting to attempt this very swap. I have the first of what I’m sure will be many questions. I’m just glad this thread is here to help me along. I’m not sure I would’ve attempted this on my own. Thanks Tim especially.
Anyway, I’m in the process of getting wiring harness started and am trying to get everything labeled and sorted out for when I’m ready to start soldering. My igniter is of the 5 wire variety, and I can’t seem to match it all up. Black is obviously ground. I’m assuming that grn/wht and yel/grn go to 9&10 on on plug “A” at Ecu. Where does blue with silv dots and red with blue stripe go? Can’t find it anywhere.
Also, am I wiring the relay block ground controlled or power controlled? Seems like it should be power controlled.
By the way, donor car is a 94 legacy wagon standard shift 2.2.
Johndl58

Post by Johndl58 »

I figured out the relay set up, I think. Still trying to figure out igniter wiring. Can’t find anything that explains those connections. Also have quite a few wires off of the 2 grey engine plugs that aren’t really talked about anywhere that I can find. Any help would be appreciated.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Look at Subaru powered VWs on FaceBook, the igniter wiring was talked about about 2 weeks ago. Some are 5 wire and some are 4 wire with the 5 wire connector.

Ed