912+STi v8 Spec-C motor

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
RonW

Re: 912+STi v8 Spec-C motor

Post by RonW »

Need some help guys.
Trying to source AN fitting for the clutch slave. Anyone have ideas or links or part numbers for a banjo to AN fitting?
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

Post by 883 »

http://www.mcmaster.com/#banjo-fittings/=pg8qni
Not much selection, but they do exist.

A little salty too...

Did you try Summit, Jegs?
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Plenty of banjos to AN available, just pick your favorite vendor and fitting mfg. Available in both metric and English thread for the bolt.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Banjo-Bra ... 36434.html
If you were using IFF hard brake lines I could point you to some super-trick banjo to IFF fittings. I used these on my tilton MC's, nice and compact.
Jeff
RonW

Post by RonW »

gotcha, thanks! i wasnt sure if was something unique it being on a metric part. i'll pull it and figure out size and thread pitch. still need to figure out the appropriate hose to obtain compatible with hydraulic fluid to run from clutch mc to slave.
red74super

Post by red74super »

Hey Ron, awesome build. I will most likely be at laguna seca for the SCCA runoffs and would love to check out your car.

How close are you to that track?
1971 911T - swap/project
2006 wrx wagon - 6 speed swap
1991 miata - full racecar
RonW

Post by RonW »

Thanks! I'm only 2 hours north. Get me a crew pass and perhaps I'll drive down ;) I believe the SCCA runoffs are Oct 11/12.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Someone had asked me about my build thread and pointed them to here but looks like i kinda feel off the wagon and stopped posting. Just as an update, car been running for some time with the wrx trans.

I think this is new to the thread but I wanted to run 930 CV to handle the power but also to handle the slight offset front to rear of the trans.

The subaflange obviously is needed to get it to accept the 930 CV's. I think subaru gears have fixed it but the bolt were not the correct pitch as the standard 930 pitched bolts but I was able to get the bolts from arp with the pitched it was tapped for. Outboard I used the standard 930 bolts. see this thread for details ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=144811 ) shot of the but trans installed with stock started and clutch slave in place.

The outboard 930 cvs wouldnt fit the early SWB trailing arms due to space constraints so I took LWB (>'69 911) trailing arms and had them modified to SWB dimensions to accommodate the much larger CV.

Trans is a later model trans so no internal speed sensor so i build this trigger wheel to work for now. Its V1 which works but the issues is there is slight side play and if the axle moves all the way to the outboard side, i loose signal briefy. i'm working on another design so it can move side to side without issue. actually this pic was before i corrected it so to have 5 blades vs the 6 illustrated here

prepping for welding

Here is everything bolted up

and the brakes and clutch bleed

Last edited by RonW on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RonW

Post by RonW »

I did end up modifying my rad to make it shorter and relocate/angle the inlet/outlet and make the correct size. i also used rubber isolators since it was hard mounted previously

back in the car

Made a catch can for the coolant overflow

Other small projects include front end rebuild with new bearings, strut inserts and rebuilt calipers

To do list still includes a mod to the coolant cross over pipe so it exits forward vs current stock which is to the rear. Also considering going air to air to simplify the bay and flip the manifold. well see. anyway, i think this is up to date now
panel

Post by panel »

What calipers are those? And for the overflow tank is there only one feed? How does it work.........I have that on my list of things to do. I was going to just use a water bottle (a nice one of course) :)
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
RonW

Post by RonW »

Hey panel, happy new year. been a while and getting up to speed on everyones build threads. hope its coming along.

Calipers are stock SC/Carrera calipers that were rebuilt by a PMB Performance who specialize in Porsche caliper restorations. I had 5 pairs sitting in the garage from different projects so he took all of them in trade for these :D

Overflow tank seems to work as it should. I drilled a very small hole on the top but I think I need to drill a slightly bigger hole because it whistles like a train when heat/pressure builds up lol. water bottle will work fine im sure, just had the scrap around the garage.

cheers
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

A lot of really nice work in this thread. Thanks for sharing all the cool work.
RonW

Post by RonW »

ryans88gt wrote:A lot of really nice work in this thread. Thanks for sharing all the cool work.
ryan,
thanks for the kind words but this would not have come to fruition if it werent for the great help/advise for the forum members here, truely the best!
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

Ron once again your posting helped. I have moved the Manx back to a type IV engine and wanted to move the STi engine to the Beetle Convertible. Without any real data I decided I would have to drop the 930 transmission and go with the Subaru Gears transmission. After working on REM RA gears and ring/pinion, and some time with Matt Monson at GT hears about LSDs the total climbed to $6,800. And I figured it still will not take the 450hp my engine will put out. So shelving everything for a while I moved things around in the shop to put the engine / Trans up on a pallet for a while. First I measured the trans and tonight came home and looked up your dimensions here. Seems the 930 is shorter than the Suby MT5! So back in business. Thanks for posting those pictures and dimensions! And I can turn up the boost if I want with the 930 box.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Grad to be of assistance! I'm surprised that you dont think the 930 will take the abuse. I have a buddy with a 914 with 400hp 2.0L STi running nearly 30# boost on E85 and the 930 is doing fine (just 2nd and 3rd gear though). Anyway, looking forward the the build progress on either vehicle.

Finally gotta chance to do a little wrenching.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 374f67d40e

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 20bd557aaa

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=55209611
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

I know the 930 could take it. It was originally planned for a Pikes Peak run in the Manx. For some reason, probably reading too many G50 posts, I was thinking the 930 was too long to fit. If it's good enough for a 934/935 it will be fine in a 450hp beetle.
I am working on buying a ready built Pikes twin turbo V8, so just juggled things around first to get projects out of my FX shop.