Its officially in the works. My Hayabusa powered '67 bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Plasticfantastic

Re: Its officially in the works. My Hayabusa powered '67 bug

Post by Plasticfantastic »

Website? Pics of this mount? I'm not building one but sure would like to see how they do it...

Jeff-
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

There is one thing ive learned from researching a motorcycle engine mated to a vw transmission and its that there are only a handful of people that have done it, and NOBODY is willing to share secrets... Seriously, ive hit dead ends, people not willing to talk, and have been told to figure it out on my own.. and the company that is making the adapter isnt giving me detailed pics or drawings...

The company is called Zcars out of the UK and its been a few years since they did one of these conversions but you can find pics of the car and videos of it on youtube.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

All I'm finding are videos of Mini's converted to run a 'Busa motor.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Devastator wrote:All I'm finding are videos of Mini's converted to run a 'Busa motor.
Yes, thats what they specialize in but they also make kit cars that run Busa engines and like i said, it has been a few years since they built a busa kit car that ran a T1 transaxle. I think they use custom FNR boxes now in all their cars.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

With that in mind, wouldn't it be easier to use a FNR box with a sprint car style rear end?

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Devastator wrote:With that in mind, wouldn't it be easier to use a FNR box with a sprint car style rear end?
There is a couple issues with going with an FNR box. First is that the engine would have to be mounted mid engine which would entail cutting the floor, the cheapest im going to get out with an FNR box is $2500, i would have to fab up A-arms and mounts, get new CV axles, brakes, etc(which all add up) and with the engine mounted in the back seat i would either have to live with all the noise or fab up a firewall behind the front seats. Its just to much work and money and the guys at Zcars said that with the mount i can almost fit the hood down on a stock beetle.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Good reasons. :D

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Devastator wrote:Good reasons. :D
Like i always say, "you have to draw the line somewhere"... :wink:
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

frankysfree wrote:Like i always say, "you have to draw the line somewhere"... :wink:
If you're building a Busa Bug, I' not sure what you're drawing your lines with.... :shock:

Jeff-
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Plasticfantastic wrote:
frankysfree wrote:Like i always say, "you have to draw the line somewhere"... :wink:
If you're building a Busa Bug, I' not sure what you're drawing your lines with.... :shock:

Jeff-
Haha. The list could go on forever if i dont stop somewhere... I really like the IFS that Mendeola offers but at $3500 i cant justify it. Thats called drawing the line and it usually first involves how much money i have at the time, then how much free time i have, and sometimes what is involved in fabbing up something...
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

after much searching i finally found a bike engined vw bug. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/2_yhucWo-Fo
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Subscribed also. I've thought about doing something similar with that V65 Magna at my uncle's with the trashed front end. Haven't gotten past the 'what if' stage and not sure if shaft drive will make it easier or harder...
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Talked to my local VW shop yesterday about the transaxle since their specialty is building them from everything from a daily driver to an all out drag car.

I told him my plan of keeping the VW transaxle in 3rd gear and using the clutch and gearbox from the busa while driving and he seemed to think that i would be perfectly fine with just the normal upgrades of super diff, stronger sideplates, spider gears, and welded 3rd gear. We also talked about eliminating the unused gears etc out of the tranny and he thought it would be a good idea to eliminate friction, rotating mass, and weight. Since you have gears freewheeling inside even when not engaged you still have parasitic losses so seeing as how i can get rid of parasitic losses AND weight at the same time i consider it a win-win in my book.