aussie v8 mid engine 4x4 bay build.

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
roverv8bay

aussie v8 mid engine 4x4 bay build.

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. I'm on the Sunshine coast in Queensland Australia. I joined site to see what others are doing to their bays. I will start with the bay because of the build it's called ECLECTIC it's a 1976 windowed van 2 seater behind the front seats is a rover v8 backed up by a Toyota hi ace diesel alloy 5 speed behind that a Nissan 720 4x4 transfer case. The complete drive train will mount on it's own 4" x2" frame & lift in & out as a unit tis frame willsit into anothe frame of the same size tube mounted inside the kombi chassis rails. The IRS diff centers are VT V6 auto commodore front open rear LSD. I have relocated the center steering arm to the under the beam to allow room for front diff but may look at power rack because of space issues the rear tailshaft is datsun 180b irs axle it bolts straight up to the transfer case & has a slider in it to let it slide in to fit it the front will be the same axle welded in to commodore wagon 2 piece with center bearing. the box will be shifted by the hi ace shifter but marine cables instead of the complicated linkage system. the front 4x spindles are out of Holden rodeo that have been modified to take the larger kombi ball joints & camber adjusters. the engineer doing my machine jobs is going to cut and shut the 4 axles to suit the odd inner & outer cv's he will do a spigot on them & press fit & weld the intermediate shaft off the nissan transfer case to gearbox was to long to give room for it all to fit into space so I had 1 made up using I a kombi cv joint the end off kombi axle pressed into the drive flange off the case then the Toyota front uni yoke machine down & the kombi axle flange machined out to take it so it will allow movement in a minimum space I hope to get 1 drive spindle back tomorrow so i can steam ahead knowing that it's going to work. needing space the water pump & oil filter had to go in their place an electric water pump & remote oil filter & cooler the seats are Honda prelude digital 2" gauges. Just have to figure out the how to's of loading pics to show the bits involved.
030 - Copy.jpg
032.jpg
032.jpg

ernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by roverv8bay on Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: aussie v8 mid engine 4x4 bay build.

Post by 883 »

Great, another aussie...

Just kidding :D , welcome!

This may help if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 7&t=139002

Hope you figure it out soon cause I want to see this thing. Very ambitious undertaking:)
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. some more pics
roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

Gday all been setting up the rear crossmember on the rear differential using the original gmh commodore mount. just have to make up the mounts for the chassis
Last edited by roverv8bay on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day. Been a while. here's where I'm upto with ECLECTIC
Engine in final location
height above floor

the adapter to bolt VW cv to IRS commodore LSD diff center
roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

more of the diff assembly from front

rear mount set up for height when finished it will be a 1/2 plate with a vw cut into it & back lit with a coloured light just for some fun

a view of the tailshaft to the front it's a standard commodore station wagon just have to replace the front slip yoke with a rear diff flange the others show the clearance on the sump and mounting point for centre bearing

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

more pics

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

My strengthening for the floor & support for the engine cradle it consists of 75mm by 50 mm by 5mm thick angle iron with 30mm by 30 mm by 4mm thick by 400mm long these fit into the floor support beams the angle sits on top of the torsionbar tube the top of the chassis rails & the xmember under floor behind the front seat.

going going

going

gone

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

the drive train cradle before welding

finished all bar the engine mounting brackets

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

the rear disc assemblies off Mitsubishi is very close to bolt on
this is the axle housing flange & kombi carrier hub.

partial assembly to check clearance

pajero caliper bracket

parts in conversion to rear disc the original stud holes in hub will be plug filled

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

more of disc set up there's no welding required

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

I'm using a cable operated shifter from a Toyota tarago for the gearbox & a stripped down cable shifter from a Mitsubishi L300 van for the transfer case along with a Toyota hi ace van handbrake lever

after getting price to have housing come console made I went for this option a third the cost it will have an internal storage box covering the cables & providing secure storage

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all bit of update
the tool box come console sitting in location will need the rear cut down to shorten by 6inches then cut lid behind the lock assembly by same amount to get the shifters back to driver

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. been off the bay for a while but back into it now. for people outside of Australia we have a very stringent code of practise to get our modifications passed to be street registered. each part of the build is inspected as you go 3 weeks ago I had the modified beam & spindles approved so I can now concentrate my energy into completing the front end which was the stumbling block for full road use will put some pics

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Beautifully insane! Love it!

Do the engineers who must approve ~anything in Oz provide ...productive suggestions, or just say "try again?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.