Another Subaru swap, 71 Bay window bus

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
raggdout63

Re: Another Subaru swap, 71 Bay window bus

Post by raggdout63 »

Philippe thanks for the link. I'll be looking at your build to help with mine. Carlos the build is nice and I'm sure philippe will be cruising this for a long time now.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

question about your rads -- how are they mounted to the metal frames? I saw the holes for the plastic nubs/shoulders to sit in/pass through, but the screw hole is smaller than those holes for the plastic nubs. Did you use a big washer or?
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

You are correct, the big plastic nubs pass through the hole in the radiator plates about 3/16". I cut small pieces of tubing the fit over the nubs and then tack welded a washer to it. It was the only way to get the rads tight up against the sheet metal, but not modify the radiator, just in case future replacement becomes necessary.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

55superbeetle wrote:You are correct, the big plastic nubs pass through the hole in the radiator plates about 3/16". I cut small pieces of tubing the fit over the nubs and then tack welded a washer to it. It was the only way to get the rads tight up against the sheet metal, but not modify the radiator, just in case future replacement becomes necessary.
thank you! I was sort of envisioning that this must be the case but I wanted to see if you had some kind of cleverer method.
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

Ok, so questions about the engine support bar:

What was the pipe thickness used for the carrier?

I read in another similar thread build that the bends upward are at 27 degrees, and that the inside (top of the pipe) is 10 inches from bend to bend. Can you confirm this?

Also, what gauge steel were the gussets you used for the engine mounting pads?

Thanks in advance for all you can share.

Marshall
monkslayer

Post by monkslayer »

hey.I like the setup.I am thinking of doing mine just the same.Any results on engine temperatures based on this setup?Over heating?

In addition,could you please explain further how the rads are hooked to the water pump etc?pictures showing this would be highly appreciated!

Sorry if the questions are not well constructed...i am a newbie to this!

Thanks in advance for the inspiration!:-D
uclasccr7

Post by uclasccr7 »

Nice Swap. Not sure if I noticed in the thread, but what motor are you running? In the works of doing research for a conversion in my 69 westy. Thanks
70 Bay

Post by 70 Bay »

I am getting ready to start on a 70 bay and wanted to know what your water temps have been running. also want to find out who build the crossmember.

thanks
Don
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Hey fellas, I'm the owner of this bus.

There have been a few minor changes since this thread was updated. Current state looks like this:

Sorry no one has really been monitoring this thread. I have a build thread that I keep up to date (sorta :roll: ) on earlybay.com

My stock engine blew on page 10 and the subaru swap info starts after that, here's the link:

Dadwagens Super Secret Subaru Swap

To answer the questions about coolant temps I have not had any overheating issues whatsoever. Engine temps stay under 200 degrees. The cooling system relies on the fans. There are all kinds of specifics about the cooling system on my build thread for anyone who is looking for it.

The next upgrade for my bus is a rebuilt 091 transmission with taller 3rd and 4th gear.
70 Bay wrote:I am getting ready to start on a 70 bay and wanted to know what your water temps have been running. also want to find out who build the crossmember.

thanks
Don
Don the engine mount bar was fabricated by 55Superbeetle. All of the fabrication on this swap is his work.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Looks awesome Jeff, I was thinking of doing the same to my 65 panel. I'm just not sure about the cooling issue
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Hi Philippe,
Great thread, I love your bus and the cooling system build.
I also had a look at your long build thread - awesome!

Before you commit to rebuilding your 4 speed, please contact me and discuss the Subarugears option one more time.

I read on your build thread that you saw the prices had changed from AUD to USD and the cost had gone up for you.
This is incorrect.
They day the prices were changed, it was a 1 to 1 price adjustment using the exchange rate of the day.
For example, the kit used to be $2200 AUD and it was changed to USD $1900. The exchange rate of the day was 1AUD = USD $0.86
So there has been no price increase for anyone by changing the pricing from AUD to USD - and it's far easier for international customers to understand. We have also increased the value of the kit by including oil sight glass fittings for the side of the trans.

I'd be happy to discuss some options with you if you still wish to consider the Subarugears option.
Unfortunately with the AUD dropping in value since then, the Australian customers have found it more expensive.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

ttriebler wrote:Hi Philippe,
Great thread, I love your bus and the cooling system build.
I also had a look at your long build thread - awesome!

Before you commit to rebuilding your 4 speed, please contact me and discuss the Subarugears option one more time.

I read on your build thread that you saw the prices had changed from AUD to USD and the cost had gone up for you.
This is incorrect.
They day the prices were changed, it was a 1 to 1 price adjustment using the exchange rate of the day.
For example, the kit used to be $2200 AUD and it was changed to USD $1900. The exchange rate of the day was 1AUD = USD $0.86
So there has been no price increase for anyone by changing the pricing from AUD to USD - and it's far easier for international customers to understand. We have also increased the value of the kit by including oil sight glass fittings for the side of the trans.

I'd be happy to discuss some options with you if you still wish to consider the Subarugears option.
Unfortunately with the AUD dropping in value since then, the Australian customers have found it more expensive.
ttriebler,

Thanks for the feedback on my build thread, I appreciate the positive comments.

The setup I was considering was the re-manufactured Non Turbo trans which was priced at $3500 AUD and the Bay window trans mount which was $200 AUD. Today's prices for those two items are $4000 USD for the trans and $200 USD for the mount, so I dont know how you got there if you used 1 AUD= 0.86USD.

I posted the numbers I was quoted for the rebuilt 091 on my other build thread so you can see how far apart the two options are for me when it comes to cost. Let me know if you can work with me on price or if you want to sponsor my bus LOL...
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

We used to charge AUD $450 or $550 for freight to the USA and freight is now included in the price.
That's the big piece of the puzzle you're missing in your numbers.

We also now include the oil sight glass (USD $100) and the Subanose cast nosecone (USD $200 with kit) in our remanufactured transmissions to add even more value.

Sponsor your bus...if I had a dollar for every time... :-)